Internet technologies and communication software



Filter not working for me....
Search  Users  Rules 
Close
Login:
Password:
Forgot your password?
Register
Login
 
Pages: 1
RSS
Filter not working for me....
 
I have a simple filter that isn't working most of the time.

Name: Yahoo/Hotmail
Source folder: Inbox
Move messages to folder: \\xxxxxxxxx@yahoo.com\SPAM
Filter string: *@yahoo.com Sender Yes
Filter string: *@hotmail.com Recipient Yes
Rule is active

Instead of the messages going into the SPAM folder they end up in the Inbox of the \\xxxxxxxxx@yahoo.com folder.

I believe they find their way into the \\xxxxxxxxx@yahoo.com inbox because an 'RFC-822 headers' view shows the messages are addressed to xxxxxxxxx@yahoo.com.

Does anyone have possible explanations as to why the filter isn't working and what I might try?
'Continue processing with other filters' is disabled.

TIA
 
The possible causes are manifold, so you should give some more info.
What version of TB are you using?
Is the problem filter a common filter or account based.
If the problem filter is account based, in what account is it located?
Have you got a filter that moves messages to the inbox of the yahoo account and is that filter located above the yahoo/hotmail filter?
__________________________________
I'm just a user of The Bat! I don't work for Ritlabs.
 
Quote
Roelof Otten writes:
The possible causes are manifold, so you should give some more info. What version of TB are you using? Is the problem filter a common filter or account based. If the problem filter is account based, in what account is it located? Have you got a filter that moves messages to the inbox of the yahoo account and is that filter located above the yahoo/hotmail filter?


I'm using v. 1.61
The filter is account-based.
The filter is located in a main e-mail account.
>Have you got a filter that moves messages to the inbox of the yahoo account and is that filter located above the yahoo/hotmail filter? No, no.

TIA
 
I guess the filter isn't working, because the messages are arriving at a different account than where your filter is located.
__________________________________
I'm just a user of The Bat! I don't work for Ritlabs.
 
Quote
Roelof Otten writes:
I guess the filter isn't working, because the messages are arriving at a different account than where your filter is located.



That isn't the case.
The mail is arriving into my main e-mail account.
The filters are setup in this main e-mail account.
The filter is looking for strings and if found, is trying to send the messages to a folder (SPAM) in another e-mail account.

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
 
Then either your condition isn't met or another filter is triggered before the one you've got problems with.
When one filter is triggered, other filters won't be matched against that message, unless the triggered filter has the option 'continue processing with other filters' enabled.

In your log you can see what filter is triggered by an incoming message.
__________________________________
I'm just a user of The Bat! I don't work for Ritlabs.
 
Quote
Roelof Otten writes:
Then either your condition isn't met or another filter is triggered before the one you've got problems with. When one filter is triggered, other filters won't be matched against that message, unless the triggered filter has the option 'continue processing with other filters' enabled.

In your log you can see what filter is triggered by an incoming message.


The filter I'm having problems with is second fr om the top of filters.
The top filter has nothing to do with the account in question.

Can you please tell me wh ere the log is that I can check and what it is called?

TIA
 
I have some more info now.

First of all I discovered where the log file is and it has been very helpful.

How many days back will it trace? This log only goes back three days.

I discovered that most messages have been passing through another filter before being filtered by their proper filter.

I don't know if this has been causing the problem or not.

What I'd like to know is if I have set up my filter properly.

Do you use a wildcard like this for e-mail addresses?

*@yahoo.com

Will that capture any e-mail coming from a yahoo.com address?

Or is it better to have a filter that looks like this?:
@yahoo.com

TIA
 
In the current version the log file size can be set at:
Account -> Properties -> Maximum Log file size
and it an be accessed at:
Account -> View Log
IIRC that was the same in v1

Your message doesn't trigger the target filter.
As your target was the second filter and you denounced the possibillity that the message triggered the first filter (the filters are processed top down and processing stops after the first match unless the triggered filter has the 'continue processing...' option enabled) your conditions aren't met by the target filter.
So I'd delete the asterixes.
I'm rather rusty in the proper v1/v2 filter syntax, since that's been obsolete since v3 (five years ago), so you're a bit on your own in finding the proper syntax.
__________________________________
I'm just a user of The Bat! I don't work for Ritlabs.
 
Quote
Roelof Otten writes:
Your message doesn't trigger the target filter. As your target was the second filter and you denounced the possibillity that the message triggered the first filter ... your conditions aren't met by the target filter. So I'd delete the asterixes...



Thanks Roelof.
After studying the log file and making adjustments (removing the asterixes, re-positioning some filters)
I seem to be having success now!

It's still early, but it seems to be working.
I'll keep you posted later.
Pages: 1
Users browsing this topic (1 guests)