Pages: 1
RSS
Cannot copy the message

What does the following mean, from the account log:

Code
!12/04/2013, 00:18:06: FILTR - Cannot copy the message
After all the FETCH entries, I sometimes get one or more of these entries, and when I do the connection status stalls. If I get more than a couple of these then the stall can be for minutes rather than tens of seconds.

I don't know which message(s) this relates to - there is no other information. I see the normal FILTR entires for all messages, just that the above entry appears embedded in the usual bunch of 'received messafe from..' entries. As far as I can tell, all the received messages end up in my message base.

Plainly, this is indication a problem, but I have no idea what that problem is, or how important it is. It's also a pain having the connection stall. How do I find out the cause and fix it?

I think they're messages that are intercepted by your virus scanner.
As the virus scanner intercepts them TB cannot process them.

That's a good suggestion, but I think it might not be the right one :)

I say that because it only happens with some messages, and if it were the AV scanner it would likely happen with them all. However, I think the common feature (of the messages that produce this) are that they are all from Yahoo Groups mailing lists.

At least I think so. Without knowing which message in a connection the log entry refers to I have to guess, and it seems to me that this only  happens why such a message is retrieved in the blink.

If the virus scanner is the cause, it wouldn't be necessary happening to all messages. Only to messages with an attachment that's considered a virus. Those messages would be deleted by the virus scanner and therefore TB wouldn't be able to process them further.
You might check how many unread messages appear and how many new messages TB found on the server.

I really don't think it's the AV because the last reported intervention by it was in January. When it does intervene, it merely removes the attachment and lets the body of the message through. Also, as far as I can see, all the messages that TheBat says it's receiving end up in the message base. If the AV did clobber the message then TheBat wouldn't say it is received. The stalling, and the problem warning, occurs after the received log entry, and from watching the log live I can see that all that stuff is done before any stalling starts.

Another aspect, which may be important, is that affected message seem to have more than one source:

Code
 13/04/2013, 00:14:32: FETCH - Received message from forum@ritlabs.com, size: 2334 bytes, subject: "www.ritlabs.com: [forum] Cannot copy the message"
!13/04/2013, 00:14:44: FILTR - Cannot copy the message
13/04/2013, 00:14:44: FETCH - Received message from xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, sheetcam@yahoogroups.com to sheetcam@yahoogroups.com, encrypted: No, size: 6074, date: Friday, April 12, 2013 9:51:22 PM, subject: "[sheetcam] Re: THC Side entry, cutting single lines not closed shapes." 
I assume the affected message is the sheetcam@yahoogroups one (since the problem only seems to occur when I receive Yahoo Groups posts, and a previous one from ritlabs didn't trigger it.
Unfortunately, that log is in verbose mode and the order of the entries is different to when it's not in verbose mode. There appears to be no more useful info logged, though.

Right, I've just watched it received messages again, and it is absolutely definitely the sheetcam@yahoo posts (that is, the Yahoo Groups mailing lists - I am only receiving sheetcam at the moment, but when other groups turn up they're affected too). I just got 4 posts off the group, had 4 'cannot copy' message, got 4 stalls. There were 8 total messages in the connection.

I just altered your post with the log entry, it's not not considered proper behaviour to post other people's email addresses on public forums. ;-)
Your filter for the sheetcam list is copying messages to a dedicated folder? Does it copy them or doesn't that happen either? Can you move the messages to that folder manually?

Sorry. Since the addresses were fr om a public mailing list I thought they would already be public.

The filter checks for "recipient is 'sheetcam@yahoogroups.com'" and moves the message to a SheetCAM folder. The check used to be "Sender contains 'sheetcam@yahoogroups.com' OR Recipient contains 'sheetcam@yahoogroups.com'" but I changed it to see if it solved the problem. It didn't.

I've just gone through the logs again and I think the problem is lim ited to this specific group. That is, another 2 Yahoo Groups I receive don't provoke the problem. I take additional groups, but don't have a log for them so don't know if they're also affected or not.

All these groups were populated initially by importing the messages from another mail client. There are over 8000 posts in the SheetCAM group, but the other groups, that aren't affected, have ~1800 and 30K posts, so I don't think that's the cause.

Oops. Forgot to say:

The messages are moved OK by the filter. I can manually move messages to that folder without a problem too, although since all the sheetcam posts are being moved by the filter OK, so I test with unrelated messages.

Could you copy and post the filter  here?
Sel ect the filter and Press Ctrl-C
Then paste them into your post with Ctrl-V
(that way you can copy/paste filters fr om TB in any tekst editor, just one at a time, though you can copy multiple foilters the other way around)

Ah, I was looking to see how to get hold of a filter definition. Does that mean one can't export the lot as a backup?

Code
$$$$ TB! Message Filter $$$$
beginFilter
UID: [0C7DCBC7.01CE2897.14083A62.0957EDEC]
Name: SheetCAM
Filter: {\0D\0A\20`1`4`sheetcam@yahoogroups.com\0D\0A}
MoveMessage folder \5C\5Cxxxx\5CLists\5CSheetCAM
IsActive
Ignore
endFilter 

The filter for a group that doesn't exhibit the stalling is:

Code
$$$$ TB! Message Filter $$$$
beginFilter
UID: [7D810351.01CE2F3B.5C9830C6.0A5BD1E5]
Name: PP_Beginners
Filter: {\0D\0A\20`0`0`powerpro-beginners@yahoogroups.com\0D\0A1`1`0`powerpro-beginners@yahoogroups.com\0D\0A}
MoveMessage folder \5C\5Cxxxx\5CLists\5CPP_Beginners
IsActive
Ignore
endFilter

Can't see anything special.
Does the sheetcam filter have a subfilter?
If not, what happens if you delete the sheetcam filter and  create it again?

You can back-up all filters of an account by copying the account.srb file in the account directory.
Every account has its own file and there's another one in the mail directory itself (for the common filters), but unfortunately they all have got the same name. That makes backing them up a bit more bothersome then otherwise.
However, if you you create a backup with TB, the filters are included.

Thanks for the info about files to backup. I do a complete backup every day, but it's useful to know which specific file to restore if necessary.

Re the log message problem: should I be badgering support about this? The actual message is puzzling, but the stalling is a drag.

I've sent a message to Ritlabs, maybe someone will contact you.

Thanks very much :)

We suggest you create a ticket in the support section and we will try to find out the cause of that issue.

To wind this up, in preparing to create a support ticket for this, I found out it was in fact down to user error.

In detail, I had two filters doing the same thing (that is, look for messages fr om the Yahoo Group and move them to the SheetCAM folder). In itself that wouldn't have caused the log message or stalling, but on one of the filters I had enabled 'Continue processing with other filters'. But even that wouldn't necessarily have caused the problem either - it just happened that the filter with this setting was the first one to be used.

So, this is now resolved. I would wish for more detail in log warnings/errors (which could have shown straight away wh ere the problem was), and perhaps the stall is for too long (surely existence of a message on the local filesystem can be determined quite quickly).

Thanks for your time in helping with this, Roelof :)
Pages: 1