Pages: 1
RSS
Spelling checker not working

When I try to add a word to my dictionary, it doesn't work.

I right click on the word that is underlined red, and choose add to dictionary.  THe word is still underlined red, and if I type it again, it is still marked as wrong.

Is this a quirk with TB or should I download again, or is there another fix for it.

I'm using Office 2003 but TB doesn't seem to pick up on that dictionary.

Thanks much

Rick

TB has its dictionary files at an awkward place: In a subdirectory of 'program files'.
Have you got admin rights when you're trying to add files to the dictionary? It 'shouldn't work when that isn't the case.
It's working fine for me, but I gave my restricted user account write access in TB's program directory (makes switching between betas easier)

TB won't pick up Office 2003 dictionary files, those are a different format than the supported Office 98 dictionary files.

I'm the only user on the computer and have admin rights. Is there a single file I can download to fix this?

TB adds extra words to the file UserDic.TLX (in the directory C:\Program Files\The Bat!\Speller) and that's working just fine for me and AFAIK that's isn't restricted to the pro or registered version, so I don't know why it doesn't work for you.

Are you working with XP or Vista?

I'm working with Vista

I installed TB in XP, and the speller works. Has anyone got it to work with Vista?

Vista normally does not allow files under \Program Files to be modified, even if you're admin
When an app attempts to do this, Vista 'virtualizes' the write call and the modified file gets saved to another place

First do a search for "The Bat!" , make sure to set it search in hidden/system/non-indexed etc. files/folders

Delete any folders found matching the pattern
*\virtual store\*The Bat!*,
or in other words delete any folder named "The Bat!" which full path contains a higher level folder named "virtual store" (or "virtualstore" not sure about the space)

Then right-click C:\Program Files\The Bat!\ folder,
select 'Properties' and click the 'Security' tab.
Give 'Full control' to the 'Everyone' user
Reboot just in case, and then hopefully it will work.
Pages: 1