Pages: 1
RSS
Automatic deletion of new mail, How to disable deletion of new mail from server

I am new to TheBat! having used Outlook for years. I use an anti-spam application, MailWasher, which checks all mail prior to downloading new messages in TB. My problem is that I'm not sure how to configure TB as it seems to automatically delete some new messages from the server for certain messages.

Recently I was communicating back and forth with a support tech to resolve some problems in another program. I'd see his replies in MailWasher, but when I would attempt to download the message in TB it would be permanently deleted. I am not running any anit-spam plugins in TB and only have the AVG anti-virus plugin running with the option to move infected messages to a Quarantine folder.

Do I need to create some kind of filter to keep this from happening? I'm just afraid that I will lose some important new mail.

TB doesn't delete mail just by itself. Are you sure you don't use any spam plug-in? IIRC There are paid versions of AVG that include some spam filtering.

Did you check your log file what was happening?
Account -> View log

What provider are you using? It wouldn't be something like GMail, would it?

I don't have a spam plugin. The AVG I am using is the free one. I checked my log and found more than one entry:

1/8/2008, 13:40:13: FETCH - 1 messages deleted on server

The mail provider is hotpop.com

What setting are you using at
Account -> Properties -> Mail management -> Leave messages on server?

I have it on Delete received messages from server.

I guess I have it this way as I don't want to keep downloading the same messages over and over again.

Late news flash: In MailWasher, I just saw a PayPal notice of a deposit made to my account. But when I tried to download the message in TB it got deleted! This REALLY is disconcerting!  

I don't know whether it will help, but you culd try to set it to store mail on the server for two days. Maybe that helps.

I don't know mailwasher nor hotpop.com but I can't reproduce that behaviour with TB over here.

Thanks for your help, Roelof! Okay, I'll try changing that setup and will see if it helps.

On another unrelated issue, I'm probably going to go back to Outlook due to this problem and a glitch I am having with PGP. PGP works great with Outlook, but the thing I don't like with TB and PGP is that if you send to a Group it doesn't automatically PGP to individual emails in the list. Even if you manually select each email it still doesn't work. Outlook, on the other hand, does this automatically. So it really getst to be a bother sending PGPed messages to more than one person and having to find each person's key and add it to the encryption box. It's a shame as I had really wanted to find an alternative to Outlook and TB seemed like the best bet. Oh well, maybe I just don't understand how to configure it or something. I don't like bugging people about these minor issues that can be so annoying and it's hard to give advice for someone on the other side of the world without sitting at their computer and diddling around to find the solution.

Okay, enough said. I do really appreciate the help, though.

Well, I installed the free version of AntiSpam Sniper plugin and things seem to be improving. Just thought I'd let you know.
Pages: 1