Pages: Prev. 1 2
RSS
Mail ticker still not working...

....that behavior on the V4 was a bug.
Unless you got concrete proof I think we should end on agree to disagree.

Kenny wrote:
....that behavior on the V4 was a bug.

Unless you got concrete proof I think we should end on agree to disagree.
Look it's logical - if one wants the Mail Ticker to pop up every time, there's an option called 'Always.' If one expects RitLabs to pop up the Mail Ticker even when it's set on 'Automatically,' that an insult to my intelligence and as a paid User, you can bet I'm gonna oppose that move with all my might.

cheers,
(^ _^)
Battie
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Windows Se7en Ultimate (SP-1)  |  The Bat! Pro 5.0.16  |  MailWasher Pro 1.2.0

Battie you are too strong for me. You have won... Yes, mail ticker works perfectly well. There is no bug at all. I use The Bat since 1997 but probably all that it's a long dream. You are right. I love this mail ticker. We all love mail ticker. It doesn't bug at all. It's not a bug. It's just an improvement. Yes an improvement... Thanks a lot Battie. You convinced me... Mail Ticker it's really really wonderful. One of the most beautiful things ever created...

Thanks. Thanks a lot to have opened my eyes... I was blind...

PS The help file concerning age limit was the same for V4 but again I am sure it's not a bug. Just an improvement...

Nope, it's not a case of winning or losing. I think you missed what I mentioned here ( http://www.ritlabs.com/en/forum/index.php?PAGE_NAME=message&FID=4&TID=10106&MID=33717#message33717 )
Code
Battie wrote:
Ah, now this is the first time on this thread that a decent description has finally emerged. This is similar to what had happened to the 'Mail Redirect,' function ( http://www.ritlabs.com/en/forum/index.php?PAGE_NAME=message&FID=4&TID=9968&MID=33176#message33176 ) Those Users who've experienced the 'Age Limits' in the Mail Ticker functioning in the V4 and V5, as well . . . . . . and who would like to have the function restored to V4 state, could easily start a new topic requesting for the same with a proper description and screenshots, if possible (it's very easy to downgrade to the V4 to accomplish this.) IMO, the OP did an absurdly poor job in putting up a case for the same in this particular thread.

I believe your representation should be strong, clear, unambiguous and backed up with good supporting data (like for instance screenshots.) Making wild accusations and turning personal on somebody who is just trying to help does not further your cause. Your friend, Kenny was able to clarify the matter in a better way:-
Code
Kenny wrote:
With v4.x the scrolling ticker was showing the sender and subject for the messages that met the criteria defined by the 'Age Limit' setting. V5.x does not showing the same information with the same setting,

Nevertheless, hope you guys can make a decent compilation of your case to restore the Mail Ticker functionality to V4 state - I'll vote for it but not for the Mail Ticker to pop up when set for 'Automatically' and 'Always,' as well (we don't require 2 different features vying with each other to accomplish the same function.)

cheers,
(^ _^)
Battie
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:o

Battie wrote:
duralux duralux wrote:
I want to be informed about the latest messages received in the last hour. That's all. Otherwise Mail Ticker is useless for me because I have a lot of unread messages in my various accounts and mail ticker is always on if I don't put age limit.
I'm afraid  that part is working exactly as it should !!!

I expected more fr om the Mail Ticker thinking it would scroll even when when the 'Age Lim its' is configured - which it is wont (since according to the help' section, the Mail Ticker shall not scroll . . . . . by design.)

Sorry,  there is no bug  - only the bed-sheet needs to be taken to the laundry.

cheers,
(^ _^)
Battie
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Windows Se 7 en Ultimate (SP-1)   |   The Bat! Pro 5.0.16   |   MailWasher Pro 1.1.16  

Having just bit the bullet and upgraded to 5.0.16 I can confirm that the Mail Ticker which worked fine in v4.x does not work properly in v5.  Using time limits it does not work at all (why would it be "hideous" if it displayed only an age-filtered set of messages?) and without the time limits it displays the unread messages and also a couple of messages in an IMAP account which have been read.  Nowhere in the Help (identical for v4 and v5) does it say that the Mail Ticker should not scroll if you apply age limits.  Not scrolling rather defeats the purpose of the Mail Ticker.  This is clearly a bug and it baffles me why anyone could think otherwise.

This thread consists of 2 parts - the first part where this issue was not clearly communicated by the OP causing a debate and the second part where Kenny came in and was able to make a satisfying clarification that resulted in a consensus encouraging (from my end) those that considered it to be a bug to report it in a strong, clear, unambiguous manner backed up with good supporting data.

It's very unfortunate that you've chosen to quote a section of my post from the first part that is rendered redundant in the light of my most recent post right on top of yours with special reference to my statement in bold - "I'll vote for it."

Going forward, I'll treat this unnecessary post of yours as non-opportunistic and would be more than happy if you or anyone else submits a bug report along the following lines:-

http://www.ritlabs.com/en/forum/index.php?PAGE_NAME=message&FID=4&TID=6533&MID=33626#message33626

cheers,
(^ _^)
Battie
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

duralux duralux wrote:
I want to be informed about the latest messages received in the last hour. That's all. Otherwise Mail Ticker is useless for me because I have a lot of unread messages in my various accounts and mail ticker is always on if I don't put age limit.

This wasn't clear...?? Everybody understand but not you... It's so complicate for you too admit that you were wrong and you made a mistake? You spent hours trying to convince me that everything was ok and then you admitted you never used mail ticker previously.... And now finally you are understanding that there is a bug...

BTW, a bug report has been already submitted...
Edited: duralux duralux - 29 June 2011 02:00:22

duralux duralux wrote:
This wasn't clear...?? Everybody understand but not you... It's so complicate for you too admit that you were wrong and you made a mistake?
It was you who were clearly unable to explain such a simple issue - if everybody had understood your infantile efforts at explaining the issue, the report would've been filed long ago. You kept on insisting that the Mail Ticker was not working but disappearing when an 'Age Limit' was being set, while I continue to maintain that it works and have even provided screenshots with & without the 'Age Limits.' It was you who blindly confessed that you could not even see the screenshot while everyone else could see my point.

You should have simply stated in your initial post that "When the 'Age Limit' is set, the Mail Ticker displays the number of messages correctly but does not scroll" - was that so complicated for you?

duralux duralux wrote:
You spent hours trying to convince me that everything was ok and then you admitted you never used mail ticker previously.... And now finally you are understanding that there is a bug...
It was you who spent days (not hours) trying to explain away such a basic issue in such a futile way - it took Kenny just a couple of sentences to clear out the misunderstandings.

Yes, I had not tried the the Mail Ticker in V4 and hence was not at all aware that the Mail Ticker is supposed to scroll when the 'Age Limit' is set - but, you having already used it in V4, could you not have been more precise? When you failed to make it clear with your words, could you not have illustrated the same with a screenshot? On my part (having not seen the Mail Ticker behavior with 'Age Limits' in V4,) the only benchmark that I had at my disposal for a comparison was the V5 'Help' file and the Mail Ticker behavior in V5 is completely in keeping with the description in the 'Help' file, - the V5 'Help' section does not indicate that the Mail Ticker shall scroll with the 'Age Limits' enabled.

Please understand, RitLabs has made a change in the Mail Ticker function, by design - just as they had done with the 'Mail Redirect' feature (check out the following links):-

http://www.ritlabs.com/en/forum/index.php?PAGE_NAME=message&FID=4&TID=9968&MID=33176#message33176

http://www.ritlabs.com/en/forum/index.php?PAGE_NAME=message&FID=4&TID=9925&MID=33167#message33167

Subsequently the 'Mail Redirect' function was not only restored but also enhanced - this resolution came about purely due to a clarity of thought and communication of the same.

BTW, if you re-check, you will be unable to find that statement where I'm supposed to have alluded to this issue as a bug.

duralux duralux wrote:
Great!!!

Congratulations to you and especially to Kenny and everyone else - better late than never, wishing all of you my very best, with sincere hopes that the present behavior of the Mail ticker is restored to V4 state at the earliest (and probably even enhanced like it was with the 'Mail Redirect' behavior)

cheers,
(^ _^)
Battie

duralux duralux wrote:

duralux duralux wrote:

This wasn't clear...?? Everybody understand but not you... It's so complicate for you too admit that you were wrong and you made a mistake? You spent hours trying to convince me that everything was ok and then you admitted you never used mail ticker previously.... And now finally you are understanding that there is a bug...

I think that sums up matters perfectly. A sensible discussion on an issue has been prolonged and obscured by Battie (who has no experience of the feature as he admits and demonstrates so clearly in his posts) insisting that it was not a bug. Now in his latest post he is doing the same thing! He obviously did not read my previous post where I pointed out that the help on Mail Ticker is identical in V4 and V5, and nowhere does it say that with age limits the Ticker will not scroll. To pretend this is "by design" rather than a bug is simply absurd. It would be like Microsoft releasing a Windows 8 which did not allow resizing of any windows and then insisting it was a design feature.

It would be much better if Battie were to bow out gracefully and confine his posts to topics where he has experience of the features rather than continuing to try to obscure the issue and descending to pointless ad hominem comments.

Christopher Mosely wrote:
I think that sums up matters perfectly. A sensible discussion on an issue has been prolonged and obscured by Battie (who has no experience of the feature as he admits and demonstrates so clearly in his posts) insisting that it was not a bug. Now in his latest post he is doing the same thing! He obviously did not read my previous post where I pointed out that the help on Mail Ticker is identical in V4 and V5, and nowhere does it say that with age limits the Ticker will not scroll. To pretend this is "by design" rather than a bug is simply absurd. It would be like Microsoft releasing a Windows 8 which did not allow resizing of any windows and then insisting it was a design feature.
I'm saddened you feel that way - and well, it's quite obvious now that your previous post was not really free from being opportunistic as I'd believed.

My initial comments on the V5 'Help' vis-à-vis the V4 files were made much before you arrived on the scene:-

http://www.ritlabs.com/en/forum/index.php?PAGE_NAME=message&FID=4&TID=10106&MID=33692#message33692

The subsequent comments on the V5 'Help' vis-à-vis the V4 files (after your previous post) was merely drawing attention to my initial post on the same in an effort to highlight how and when the misunderstanding took place and not to dispute your statement about both the V4 and V5 'Help' files being the identical. On the contrary, I took your statement at face value . . . . . in good trust.

Christopher Mosely wrote:
It would be much better if Battie were to bow out gracefully and confine his posts to topics wh ere he has experience of the features rather than continuing to try to obscure the issue and descending to pointless ad hominem comments.
If it was really my wish to obscure the issue why would I have myself pressed for a bug report to be filed in the first place - again, before you even arrived here ( http://www.ritlabs.com/en/forum/index.php?PAGE_NAME=message&FID=4&TID=10106&MID=33721#message33721 )

Rather, it would be better if you accepted my expression of congratulations in the true spirit and with the honesty with which it was extended instead of trying to aggravate the situation with mischievous and personal attacks.

cheers,
(^ _^)
Battie

I am not attacking anyone, personally or otherwise.  I am not describing other posters as "mischievous", "opportunistic", or "infantile".  I am simply another user who (having just upgraded from v4 to v5 and as a user of the Mail Ticker for many years) is confirming what Duralux Duralux and Kenny have reported, that there is a bug (not a design feature) in the new version.

Now that this is agreed by all and reported, I shall say no more but leave it to Battie to have the last word as I am sure he will.

The mail ticker bug has been officially confirmed after I reported it to the Bugs Tracking System the 28 of June...
Ouf! This bug wasn't a dream...  :D

https://www.ritlabs.com/bt/view.php?id=8789

Let's hope Ritlabs now will find a solution because, as Uko says in the notes, with this bug mail ticker is completely useless.
Edited: duralux duralux - 06 July 2011 18:22:40

Mail Ticker has been repaired!
To use it, for the moment the only solution is to download (at your own risk) the last beta:
The Bat! 5.0.18.2

You have to replace the exe file with this one:
http://www.ritlabs.com/download/files3/the_bat/a-5/tb50182.rar

Yeah it works! I am happy considering that I had to spend hours to convince an user that this was bug was real...   8)
Edited: duralux duralux - 09 July 2011 11:45:02

Great news for all Users - finally the Mail Ticker is scrolling.

Here's the Changelog for The Bat! 5.0.18.2 BETA (09.07.2011):
[*] Added some debug information if The Bat! does not start
[-] HUGE memory leaks when failed to load message header fr om index file (EOutOfMemory issue)
[*] Better reporting of errors while loading string container from stream (EOutOfMemory issue)
[*] Even more info about errors while loading string container from stream (EOutOfMemory issue)
[-] TBufReaderStream and TBufStream incorrectly seek from the end of file
[-] Out of memory while expanding memory stream (trying to allocate stream with negative capacity because MS Exchange says that size of message part is BIGGER then size of the whole message)
[-] Message finder correctly "matches" only ANSI strings
[-] (#0008789) Setting maximum message age lim its to MailTicker was hiding all messages
[-] Range check error while reloading icons
[-] AV when creating desktop shortcut after installation
[-] Default filter can cause memory leak
[-] Some filters can shift position in TBN-file which cause errors while loading virtual folders (EOutOfMemory issue)
[-] (#0008811) Failing to print from The Bat! with a blank Document Name/Title
[-] Sometimes, filtering by RegExp could hang (Beta issue)

So much for the 'real' bug and an 'unimaginative' User.

cheers,
(^ _^)
Battie
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Windows Se7en Ultimate SP-1 (32-bit)  |  The Bat! Pro 5.0.18.2 (Beta)  |  MailWasher Pro 1.2.1

As Christopher said, you are always here to try to have the last word...

Nope, I have no desire to have the last word . . . . . . . not unless you try to tickle my testicles (with direct reference to the following quote.) :|

cheers,
(^ _^)
Battie
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Windows Se7en Ultimate SP-1 (32-bit)|The Bat! Pro 5.0.18.2 (Beta)|MailWasher Pro 1.2.1

duralux duralux wrote:
I am happy considering that I had to spend hours to convince an user that this was bug was real...    

For past 4 years I am using mailticker with TB on 6 systems [5xPCs] + [1xLaptop] All TBs been set to 8-hour age limits. Dont remember how and when, but till recently all mailtickers working nearly perfectly, only one problem is that no mail-ticker is scrolling. Otherwise all other ways, mailticker correctly working. I got 5.0.18 fr om ritlab. Is 5.0.18.2 and 5.0.18 same. If not, wh ere to download it and why not it is available on download page. Why download page is showing old version?

Thanking in advance.
Edited: Petroska - 09 July 2011 14:14:46

5.0.18.2 is not the same as 5.0.18, 5.0.18.2 is a beta and that's why it isn't listed on the official download page.

No 5.0.18 and 5.0.18.2 are not the same. Mailticker scrolling only works with 5.0.18.2 which is a beta version

A beta version means that you use it at your own risk and could be not stable.
For me it works great, but who knows... If you have problem it's at your own risk

Anyway you can download it here:  http://www.ritlabs.com/download/files...b50182.rar

You have to unrar the file, you got the EXE file and you have to replace it with the original file within The Bat folder (better if you make a copy of the old EXE if you have a problem).

Other solution: to wait for the new release: few days, weeks or months...
Edited: duralux duralux - 09 July 2011 14:24:44

Thanking you sir for kind anser. Can I not download that beta that solving my scrolling problem for me on all 6 computers.

To,
Mr. duralux duralux

Dont know why n how for not seeing your post first. I trying out yur link and shall thank you after some time. Trying now on all computers.
Edited: Petroska - 09 July 2011 14:27:54

Perestroika  :D

Sorry for delaying, but it is working. After trialling on all 6 computers the mailtickers are fully working now. All mailtickers are finally scrolling after copypasting 5.0.18.1

Thanking you all good people. Today night I drink to your health. Mailtickers are scrolling. :D
Pages: Prev. 1 2