Pages: 1
RSS
Hard drive crashed, re installing? Trying to help my Grandmother., Grandmothers Bat email, need help

Hello,

I created this post to help out my grandmother who is 85 and uses this email client.

I have no idea how to use this client and her hard drive crashed. I got her up and running with a new drive and was able to save some files from this email client but have no idea how she "logs back in"?

I am used to using gmail/outlook etc.

Is she able to "log back in" to her accounts or are all the files for this type of email client stored locally meaning did she lose everything?

Any help would be appreciated as im totally lost... Or if someone could just point me to a forum post for a similar situation? I am going to be searching the forums on here for an answer while waiting for responses.

Thanks in advance..

Bill Johnson wrote:
I got her up and running with a new drive and was able to save some files from this email client but have no idea how she "logs back in"?
What exactly were you able to save?

If you can read her old drive, or parts of it, or a backup of it, look for a folder named MAIL that contains a sub-folder for each of her email accounts. If you find that, the first thing to do would be to make a full copy of that folder and everything in it onto a backup drive. Let us know if/when you find that mail folder.

I am used to using gmail/outlook etc.
You probably mean that you are used to webmail. Your grandmother's provider(s) may have web-interfaces as well. If she knows her passwords, she could look there too, to see if her mail is still available from her provider(s).

Is she able to "log back in" to her accounts or are all the files for this type of email client stored locally meaning did she lose everything?
Depends. Some people only save their mail locally on their own PC, whereas others prefer to have it only on their provider's server, and still others have both.

For now, I'd try to find that mail folder, and see if she can access her mail through her providers' websites.

It may be helpful if you tell us which Windows version your grandma is using, what the names of her mail/internet provider(s) are, and which version of The Bat you have installed on her new drive.
I volunteer as a moderator to help keep the forum tidy. I do not work for Ritlabs SRL.
Pages: 1