Pages: 1
RSS
What's the best way to Update TB

I might be doing something wrong but when there's been an update, I download it and then run it.

A couple of times I landed up with two versions, both working, one showing the old version in "Help, about" BUT with all the latest emails, the other showing the new version in "about" again with all the latest emails.  The only difference is the splash screen shows different versions.

Sometimes the existing icons on the desktop/taskbar work but usually with the older version.

Two days ago I carried out the same procedure with the same result.  I then did an image backup in Macrium Reflect, a backup within TB and then uninstalled both versions of TB.  I was worried that by uninstalling both it would have deleted all traces of TB and when I installed the latest version I'd have to do a restore TB fr om the backup I'd just made.  If it went belly up I could do an image restore (C Drive) and have both versions installed.

I was very surprised that when previous versions had been uninstalled and I installed the latest (Halloween) version all my emails were showing - magic!

I don't recall any other software programs, wh ere, when an update exists and is run that it creates two copies of the program.  There must be a reason for this.

Would I be better to uninstall the previous version on each backup and then run the new one?

Thanks

Many users have reported ending up with 2 versions when they installed an update, but it is unclear to me if this only happens when upgrading from v9.x to v10.x, or also within v9.x, and within v10.x. For now it seems like a good idea to uninstall a previous version before installing a new one.
I volunteer as a moderator to help keep the forum tidy. I do not work for Ritlabs SRL.

What Daniel said. Also, it is common for a program uninstall to leave your data untouched. Some will ask if you want to remove data also, but that's rare nowadays when user data and program files are generally carefully segregated. The Bat uses database technologies which lend to the data being compatible across versions.

Edward

Daniel van Rooijen wrote:
Many users have reported ending up with 2 versions when they installed an update, but it is unclear to me if this only happens when upgrading from v9.x to v10.x, or also within v9.x, and within v10.x. For now it seems like a good idea to uninstall a previous version before installing a new one.
If this helps: In my case it is only within v10.  I never had v9, I upgraded from v6.

The only issue I had/have (with v10) is the task bar shortcut not being updated properly, which gave me quite a scare once with TB throwing a myriad of error messages at me. This was probably due to the working folder being incorrect for the shortcut (or something like that) - once I unpinned and pinned TB again everything was fine. So I do this manually after each update from then on.

And I update by running the no-automatic-update installer, making sure that the installation folder is always C:\Program Files\The Bat! (for the 64-bit version), not the local user one.

Miloš Radovanović wrote:

And I update by running the no-automatic-update installer, making sure that the installation folder is always C:\Program Files\The Bat! (for the 64-bit version), not the local user one.
How do you do that Milos?  From my experience (except the last time), when I've checked for updates, I download them to my download file on PC and then run them from there.  How would I opt for no-automatic update?  Could you please explain the differences.

The most recent update (Halloween) I downloaded from the link provided by George Salnik.

Thanks

David, click on The Bat | Download in the menu near the top of this page. There are 32 and 64 bit versions with and without auto-update functionality.
I volunteer as a moderator to help keep the forum tidy. I do not work for Ritlabs SRL.

Thank you Daniel
Pages: 1