Pages: 1
RSS
A list of the planned features for v4.x ?, The Bat! Professional

Hi,
Could somebody please help me to find info about what new features Ritlabs is planning to add to v4.x of The Bat! Professional?
Tia.

http://www.ritlabs.com/en/products/thebat/news_detail.php?ID=2188

so it seems to be mainly a GUI redesign, plus changes targeted at novice users.

Using 'normal language' words like “Recipient’s first name” instead of macro shorthands like “%TOFName” is probably a good idea, especially having new users in mind - but only if macro shorthands remain supported as well. I would say I don't care at all about this.

New account wizard that auto-fills most stuff - good for new users (maybe, this may create more problems than it's supposed to solve), I don't care either.

Labels - seems to be the only significant change from all listed. Could be useful, but I guess this involves a change in the message base format, which means v3.x message bases will probably not be directly useable with v.4.x. but will need some transformation. If so, not sure whether this makes me happy.

Is there a v.4 beta/prevew release available ?

Labels - seems to be the only significant change from all listed. Could be useful, but I guess this involves a change in the message base format, which means v3.x message bases will probably not be directly useable with v.4.x. but will need some transformation. If so, not sure whether this makes me happy.
I'm pretty sure it will not make any change to the message database. So far Ritlabs only slapped new features ontop the old program, this time will not be different.
The new interface will not come with 4.0 btw, only with 4.1 and sadly no preview availlable yet :(

BUT WHAT ABOUT HTML SUPPORT !!!

Has anyone got any news about this..?  A very good reason to move away from The Bat is the alck of support for HTML.

Also the editor could do with some serious improvements..

Thomas

Hi, thanks for replies. I agree with Thomas Dahl, a real support for html is something that is more than hoped and waited for version 4 - the only reason I haven't used the Bat! is the limited HTML support.

And I really wanted to buy the license and use the Bat! instead of Outlook.

wow, guys, just go and read the other threads about V4.x and you will find the answer to your html problem.

version 4.0.x will use msgbases from 3.x, there will be no change.

Since 4.1, index file format will be improved, msgbase format will be not changed. new index file will support new features like Labels and will not have 2GB limit for one folder, these are main changes related to change of index file.

Marek Mikus writes:
version 4.0.x will use msgbases from 3.x, there will be no change.

Since 4.1, index file format will be improved, msgbase format will be not changed. new index file will support new features like Labels and will not have 2GB limit for one folder, these are main changes related to change of index file.
Thanks,
What does this mean in practise regarding to the showing HTML messages, including embedded images, correctly?

Dominik Reichardt writes:
wow, guys, just go and read the other threads about V4.x and you will find the answer to your html problem.
I'm afraid the better way of correcting the html problem would be the Bat! coders to include the option in settings for the users to choose, to turn the html on / off. ;)
And when the html is turned on, it should of course to work correcly, that is, for example to show images normally in the body of the message.

it means nothing regarding html.
I personally hope they'll not bloat the app with html-related 'features'..

But as there is no official info or a beta of v.4 available, I think it's useless to discuss eventual new v.4 features further.
Let's just wait for it, in the past important updates used to appear around Christmas so we'll probably not have to wait too long.

as I tried to point out, if you read this forum you could have found that for 4.x it is planned to show html mails correctly regardless of the wishes of the majority of the userbase that rather have a secure mail client...
I do HOPE you can turn that on/off in the options.

Ok. I believe though that the Bat! userbase will grow much bigger after the program will show the html including images correctly.  And this of course means much more paying customers and this way more income to Ritlabs.

And yes, i agree, it is a good idea to add HTML on/off -setting in the options, so that those who want, can use the Bat the traditional way.

Let me add a comment:

the HTML feature should be able to be turned on/off on a per "email address" basis.
Some senders should be added to a whitelist, and some others (or just the rest of them) should be blocked from displaying images...

http://www.ritlabs.com/en­/products/th...hp?ID=2188

In this article it says " Screenshots for each of these four articles will be available soon".

Where can I see them ?

downloading images will be done per host, not per email address, because many phishing messages have existing and truusted email address, but spurious body mainly in HTML, which looks like it was sent from trusted sender, but urls are linked to other hosts.

yeah, I saw a screenshot of this and it looks well implemented (always, never, ask and also an url manager). As much as I'm into bashing ritlabs from time to time, this looks well done.

Hello,

Let's just wait for it, in the past important updates used to appear around Christmas so we'll probably not have to wait too long.

This year, we shall not have had our Christmas present (v.4)

At least there is an alpha version of the 4.x version around.

please do not publish nor beta, nor alpha versions in forum!

ok, I'll remember that, but c'mon you are an admin, please get rid of the link :)

Well, I keep checking back periodically looking for the release of Bat! v4.

From earlier discussion, isn't it now beyond the "anticipated" release date?

What is the latest news, if any, regarding release timing?

The latest news is that there's been a major rewrite of some things like the editor, the interface and display of HTML (including pictures)
Currently there's some extensive alpha testing. It's not quite bugfree, though.

Thanks.

Rewrites certainly can take the product back to alpha.  Do you know how long these changes have been in alpha testing?

As for how RitLabs handles releases .. will it advance through a progression from alpha to beta to release consideration?  Or some such?

Release probably some months distant, you think?

The first alpha I saw was a couple of days before Xmas, that was the first that was offered to the beta testers. There's some steady progress as we're six versions further on the road.
I wouldn't be surprised if there was a release this month, but I'm rather fallible.