Pages: 1
RSS
Search mail as raw data

Is it possible to filter mail by searching through it as raw data, rather than just text body?

You see, the evil spam companies have devised a fiendish and clever way of sending spam. The spam message is in a .gif file, and the text content of the mail is just a random sequence of nonsensical words, so there are no commonly reoccurring elements for any filtering to pick up on. Even the embedded gif file is given a different name everytime.

There is one way that these messages could be blocked, and that is via the actual data of the image file, since the same image is used every time. But to do this, an option would be needed to search through the raw data of the message for a string of characters. Is there any way of doing this in theBat's pretty comprehensive filter system? /could such functionality be easily added?

In an ideal world, of course, such functionality would not be required, but unfortunately, God has not yet seen fit to issue forth a righteous and heavenly punch in the faces of these freakish spamming losers...

You cannot search in attachments. The messages you describe can be caught by a proper spam filter, they're caught by the one on my server.