Pages: 1
RSS
Have problems with mass email

Can somebody give me an easy step by step guide how to send mass emails. I could not get the instruction from the help within the programm. My English might not be good enough. I want to send newsletter for my clients. And I have a text file with email adresses.

You don't need a text file with e-mail addresses.
Import those addresses in your address book and place them in one group.

Now you create a message you'd like to send, but you don't do that as a normal message, but as a quick template:
Options -> Quick Templates -> New
give the quick template a decent name (so you'll recognize it) and select 'Use for new Messages/Mass mailing'
You can use all macros in this template, just as in any other template, so personalize it with
Hi %ToFName,
or
Dear Mr/Ms %ToLName,
that's just an example of course.

In order to send the message, open the address book, select the group you want to use for your mailing and from the menu you pick:
File -> Mass mailing using template -> and pick the right template.
Now you can choose whether the new messages have to be placed in the outbox or whether you'd like to have each of them in a separate edit screen.
I suggest that you try this first with a very small address book group and all messages in separate edit screens. When you think you've got it under control end your mass mailing.

Thank you very much. It is very kind of you to give me this tutorial. I have one last thing. I have 5000 people in my newsgroup and I do not want them to see in the "To" field to whome else I wrote the message. I followed your instructions and all email adresses where put in the "To" field. How can I change this. I want them in the "bcc" field.

Thanks for the answer!

I have 5000 people in my newsgroup and I do not want them to see in the "To" field to whome else I wrote the message.
That's the idea of the procedure I gave you.
In TB a mass mailing (via the address book) sends every recipient a message that's only addressed to him/her, hence the options to personalize them.

When you don't care for the personalizing, you simply write an e-mail to yourself and place all intended recipients in the BCC header. This lacks elegance. Another disadvantage for this kind of mail (especially with the numbers you mention) is that lots of ISPs refuse messages with so many recipients.

The disadvantage of TB's mass mailing, a separate message for each recipient, is also its strength in this case.

However, note the user license for TB states that that you're not supposed to send unsolicited commercial email (aka spam).

I do not want to send spam. I just want to inform my users of important changes in their accounts.

As far as I understood is that they will not see to whom else I wrote the message when I do it with the address book. Is is correct?

Another problem that I have is that I just have a list of email adresses.
How can this work than: "Dear Mr/Ms %ToLName"

Can I leave the template blank?

Thanks for helping me!

I do not want to send spam. I just want to inform my users of important changes in their accounts.
That's fine with me, just felt the need to mention it, as I thought that 5000 was a tad big. ;-)

As far as I understood is that they will not see to whom else I wrote the message when I do it with the address book. Is is correct?

Yep, that's right.

Can I leave the template blank?

No, you can't leave the template blank, it has to contain your message, however when you don't want to personalize the message, you simply don't use any macros. (no recipient related macros anyway)

Thank you for your quick and professional respond.
I followed the exact steps but somehow he is just including only the first email adress and thats it. He is not including all the others and I dobble checked it. He was just sending the email to one person.

I made the template "Options -> Quick Templates -> New"

and then I tried to send it:

File -> Mass mailing using template -> and pick the right template

He moved it to the outbox and from there I send it.

Are you sure that the above tutorial is correct.

Thanks

Yes, that's the way I've used it in the past. (Though not with as many recipients as you propose.)

What I maybe didn't state clear enough, was that you need to select the address book group not a single address.
You can do that by keeping the focus opn the lefdt side of the address book window.

what are you talking about ? I do not see in any way that 'the bat' can send mass emails to each address in "TO:" personally.  

sean lu wrote:
what are you talking about ? I do not see in any way that 'the bat' can send mass emails to each address in "TO:" personally.

Does this help?
https://www.ritlabs.com/en/support/help/70/#6638
I volunteer as a moderator to help keep the forum tidy. I do not work for Ritlabs SRL.

Daniel van Rooijen wrote:
sean lu wrote:

Does this help?
https://www.ritlabs.com/en/support/help/70/#6638
Hi Daniel,
Sorry , I am so stupid,, I still can not figour out how to send several emails with individual receipient email address on the 'To: ' sector.
I am so stupid and I even do not know how to reply you on this forum.

AI will be our father of next generation humanbeing my god......

AI will be our father of next generation human being my god......

Let's try this again before the robots take over..  :-)

Step 1) Go to the account from which you want to send your mass mailing, and press F8 to get the Address Book. In your address book, make a new group of addresses (File | New | Group). The new group must have a name and a handle. In my case, I have made a group named "Test Addresses", its handle is "TestAdr", and it only contains 3 of my personal e-mail addresses. For now, you could do the same thing and only put a few test addresses in your new group. When you have done that, close the address book.

Step 2) In the main menu of The Bat, go to Tools | Quick Template. Sel ect the account fr om which you want to send your mass mailing. Then click on "Create a new Quick Template" in the middle. In the big template field you type "Hello there, this is a test message". Below that, in the Name field, you enter "Test Template" and in the Handle field you type "TestTemp". Under 'Use for', you select 'New Messages/Mass Mailing'. Then press OK to save this new quick template.

Step 3) Go back to your address book (F8). In its menu, go to File | New | Mass Mailing Using Template | Test Template (TestTemp). Now, you should get a dialog named "Create Mass Mailing". The new Test Template and Account have already been chosen. Under Action, you select "Put in Outbox".

Step 4) Press OK to create the mass mailing!  

Step 5) Now go look in the Outbox. There you should find one outgoing message for each individual address in your Test Addresses group! You can send them out for fun, or just delete them.

Step 6) Hopefully this worked well and now you can create a real address book group and a real template, so you can make a real mass mailing (please keep in mind, that internet providers and hosting providers often have limits to the number of messages that you can send out per hour. If you send too many messages, they may stop service to you).
I volunteer as a moderator to help keep the forum tidy. I do not work for Ritlabs SRL.

Daniel van Rooijen wrote:
AI will be our father of next generation human being my god......

Let's try this again before the robots take over..  :-)

Step 1) Go to the account from which you want to send your mass mailing, and press F8 to get the Address Book. In your address book, make a new group of addresses ( File | New | Group ). The new group must have a name and a handle. In my case, I have made a group named "Test Addresses", its handle is "TestAdr", and it only contains 3 of my personal e-mail addresses. For now, you could do the same thing and only put a few test addresses in your new group. When you have done that, close the address book.
I will be needing to send out 100+ e-mails shortly (ie. mass mailing).

I would like to use your above method to do it.

My only question at this point is:

How do I get my 100+ e-mail addresses entered as quickly and efficiently as possible into the Address Book group?
I'm hoping it's a single cut and paste method.

Thanks!

I've only ever used addresses that I already had in TheBat's address book, but my guess is that this would do it:

Open the Address Book
File | New | Group to create a new address book group.
Go to that new group
File | Import Fr om | <whatever format your addresses may currently have>

Good luck! If you'll be using your providers SMTP server for the outgooing messages, be sure to check if they allow you to send out 100 messages in a short time. You may have to lim it it to e.g. 25 per hour.
Pages: 1