Pages: 1
RSS
Is there a way to keep signatures (and subsequent mails) when replying?, TheBAT seems to delete them by default...

Dear All,

As I understand, on reply to an e-mail TheBAT by default drops everything after the signature cut mark ("-- ", or <dash><dash><space>). Is there a way to disable this feature? I mean, there are often cases when there are older messages beyond someone's cut mark. I often want to keep these when I'm replying. So I would prefer to keep the full e-mail content with all the signatures in it.

Last time I checked, I couldn't find such an option. TheBAT simply deleted everything starting with a "-- ".

Did I miss some setting or maybe a template entry?

It does not delete it here, just grays it out according to the settings in Options / preferences / Viewer/editor / Profile layout
The only other thing I can think of is ... do you have %QUOTES in your template? If that is not there - no quotes :)

Really? Hmm...

I think I used a default template (or something very close to it) in my account profile. There definitely is %QUOTES variable.

Code
Hello %OFromFName,
%Cursor
---
Best regards,
%FromFName
%ODateEn, %OTimeLongEn, you wrote:
%QUOTES

It behaves in the following way. Let's say, I sent a message to a person and got a response like this:
Code
Hi Andrey,
I'm fine and what about you?
-- 
Alex
25.01.2017, 20:05, "Andrey" wrote:
> Hi Alex,
> 
> How are you?

Now, when I click "Reply", an Edit Mail Message window opens with just the following text:
Code
Hello Alex,
---
Best regards,
Andrey
Wednesday, January 25, 2017, 10:56:43 PM, you wrote:
> Hi Andrey,
>
> I'm fine and what about you?

So the signature of the sender and everything beneath it (including my first message) is cut out.

Perhaps, I switched that feature on somehow? But then I can't figure out how to get the "default behavior" back... :(
Edited: Andrey Zhunev - 26 January 2017 07:52:49

I think that's intended behaviour, and if all e-mail clients respected the old "-- " signature delimiter, this wouldn't be a problem.

The helpfile says:
Code
A standard "cut mark" or "signature delimiter" is used to indicate where message text ends
and a removable signature begins. The Bat! will recognise this mark when you reply to a 
message and will cut away the mark and any text below it from the original text. This cut
mark is a simple sequence comprising a new line, two dashes, a space and a new line. Like
this: 
<new line>  
--<space><new line>  
<new line> means "press return" 
<space> means a single press of the space bar. 
Edited: Daniel van Rooijen - 26 January 2017 20:26:47
I volunteer as a moderator to help keep the forum tidy. I do not work for Ritlabs SRL.

I agree.But in the real world, only a few clients do it the "right" way. And in some situation this leads to unwanted behavior (as I described). So I thought there is an option that allows to change this.

BTW, I have such an option in my Android e-mail client, and it really helps.

I still hope I missed this option somewhere in the settings...
Edited: Andrey Zhunev - 27 January 2017 18:17:31

Replace %QUOTES with %QuoteIgnoreSeparator%QUOTES to fix that. (One of my frustrations is discovering what isn't documented...)  
Pages: 1