Pages: 1
RSS
Basic trouble with macros in TB Prof

The %CURSOR macro, which used to work very well in other TB versions, is giving me a spot of bother. For a fresh message I use TB macros like this:
%CURSOR
--
%FROMNAME
%DATE

This way the cursor is aligned to the extreme left of the message body area at the top.

With TB Prof 3.0, using the same macros in a similar manner, the double dashes were aligned to the top and extreme left of the message body instead of on the second line below the cursor (it is the cursor that should actually have started off from the extreme left and top). I had to push them down before continuing to compose.

With TB Prof 3.01, using the same macros in a similar manner, the cursor is aligned to the extreme left and top and the double dashes appear on the third line, with a space of an extra line being created between the cursor position line and the double dashes.

I imagined it was a problem of having a newer version installed over the existing one (although it doesn't make much sense, but you never know) and so I reset all macros manually in the format mentioned above. The result is still as I have described above too.

I use the same format for replies and forwards too with other macros that are defined for the parameters of the original message thrown in. While there seems to be no problems with other macros, it's the eccentric behaviour of %CURSOR and my inability to handle it that rankles. Have others had a similar experience? Actually it's a touch trivial, but I still figured I'd bring to people's notice to solve the problem, if it can be solved that is.

Is this your complete template? No greeting lines? Nothing else? I would be surprised.

I haven't noticed any differences between v3.0 and 3.1 regarding the behaviour of the %CURSOR macro myself. Without seeing the full template. Here's mine:

Dear %QINCLUDE="ABTO",
%QINCLUDE="PrvPG"%-
%QINCLUDE="PrvPM"%-
%Cursor

--
%QINCLUDE="VSIG"
iviarck

I franky do not know what %QINCLUDE does to your template using those definitions, but my guess is that includes certain preset salutations and greetings to the email.

But I address different persons in different ways (ah...I know...maybe one can build an array of different greetings for different persons and arrange for the macros to invoke the one which is appropriate or nearly so) and don't always prefer 'Dear'- Hi, Hey, Hi there, Lass, Lad, Kid, Hey Dumbo, Mr, Ms  and so on depending upon the message content and my relationship with the recipent. A preset template which offers fixed greetings and salutations is not my forte.

I also address the same person in different ways- Hi Julia, Hi There Julia, Julia, Julie, Yo Julia, Yo Lass and so on. A set greeting would not probably jell with the content, unless it contains details about your profession and person or whereabouts, which, in any case, I wouldn't like to display in every mail. Without those shackles, I can be warm, rude, casual, firm, funny, sarcastic, kindly, professional, lofty, down-to-earth and so on- you can be all this with some preset greeting lines too, but I'm not sure that they (the greeting lines) wouldn't stand out like a sore thumb.

Marck, to reiterate, I have no idea what sort of function those macros or expressions of yours accomplish, but I'm telling you all this because you mentioned that you were surprised (surprised maybe because I prefer such a bare-bones template when there's a whole arsenal of macros and what-do-you-call-thems at my disposal to personalize messages?) and I'm justifying my stand.

I don't know about %QINCLUDE="PrvPG"%- and %QINCLUDE="PrvPM"%- but the %QINCLUDE="VSIG" is pretty obvious and I would like to create signature lines too. The idea is to create numerous signature lines and create an expression or use macros in the template so that the lines are called in a predetermined manner or at random. This could pose problems too, for, at times, an email without a signature line would be more appropriate if you do not have the right line- an email offering condolences to someone who's lost a beloved one would look outrageous if it were to be delivered with a Groucho Marx quote.

And the % CURSOR problem, mentioned earlier, persists.

%QINLUDE is simply a macro to invoke a quick template. I have a lot of intelligence embedded in Quick Templates, a major piece of functionality in TB.

And the % CURSOR problem, mentioned earlier, persists.

.. and you still didn't answer my issue with your previous posting, which is what else is in your template. Without that information an explanation is going to be hard to come up with. I merely pasted mine as an example of a full template example in the hope that you might reciprocate.

What may have changed in TB is the way blank lines are used in templates and this is what is really affecting you rather than anything to do with the %CURSOR command itself. That's why I want to see more of your real template.
iviarck
Pages: 1