Pages: 1 2 Next
RSS
Access violation after update to TheBat! v11

Hello,

after updating from latest v10 to the new v11 i get a lot of "access violation at adress 00000000027667CF in module TheBat64.exe".
FIrst it happend only after selecting one particular archived message. But now it starts happening all the time, e.g. after starting theBat, after switching from one mail account to another and when selecting some mails to read them - even some older mails.
Anybody else have this kind of problems?

I'm not experiencing such problems, but it is possible they could be caused by the new "conversation thread" message viewer (as new bugs are reported by the hour). Try disabling it: Options -> Preferences... -> Viewer/Editor -> Use Classic Preview Pane.

Miloš Radovanović wrote:
I'm not experiencing such problems, but it is possible they could be caused by the new "conversation thread" message viewer (as new bugs are reported by the hour). Try disabling it: Options -> Preferences... -> Viewer/Editor -> Use Classic Preview Pane.
Switching to "Classic Preview Pane" fixed the problem for me, no more "access violation" errors.
Thanks a lot for your suggestion.

Now i noticed another small problem.
When browsing through my old mails i have noticed that some of them are not visible anymore.
Even if i open them in a seperate window the content/message window is empty.
I can see sender, receiver info and the subject of the email, but no other content/message. If i choose to answer that particular email, all content is shown correctly in the new reply-window.
I am not sure, but it could be that only those mails are displayed incorrectly that i tried to open before switching to "Classic Preview Pane" and where the above mentioned error occured.
Do you might have any idea how to make these mails visible again?
Thank you.

Dave Siro wrote:
Now i noticed another small problem.When browsing through my old mails i have noticed that some of them are not visible anymore.Even if i open them in a seperate window the content/message window is empty.I can see sender, receiver info and the subject of the email, but no other content/message. If i choose to answer that particular email, all content is shown correctly in the new reply-window. I am not sure, but it could be that only those mails are displayed incorrectly that i tried to open before switching to "Classic Preview Pane" and where the above mentioned error occured.Do you might have any idea how to make these mails visible again?Thank you.

Sounds very similar to a recently reported problem, see the solution here: https://www.ritlabs.com/en/auth-forums/forum4/topic16240/message56201/#message56201

Thank you for the link.
Unfortunately i cannot select or change anything at the "View plain text mesages" section. The field there is just blank, nothing to select.
Same for the "View HTML messages" and "View messages with alternative layout" section - just an empty field.

Dave Siro wrote:
Unfortunately i cannot select or change anything at the "View plain text mesages" section. The field there is just blank, nothing to select.Same for the "View HTML messages" and "View messages with alternative layout" section - just an empty field.
Are you telling me that you can't set the preferences as in this screenshot? Strange...

https://imgur.com/a/ma343h6

Feel free to post a screenshot yourself, but you have to use an external service like imgur.

I'm getting the same. I have no way to set the preferences. I have Classic look set. Some folders are ok, others show no text in the body of the email.

https://imgur.com/Yu9frpN  

That's puzzling, Doug. I would reboot the PC and launch The Bat with Admin privileges to see if that makes the options reappear. If it doesn't help, maybe a reinstall (newly released v11.0.2) is in order -- and if that doesn't help either, please report it to the developers ('Support' menu above).
I volunteer as a moderator to help keep the forum tidy. I do not work for Ritlabs SRL.

Doug Fitzpatrick wrote:
I'm getting the same. I have no way to set the preferences. I have Classic look set. Some folders are ok, others show no text in the body of the email.

https://imgur.com/Yu9frpN  

I've exactly the same problem like you with The Bat! 11.0.2.

Report all the bugs to the support. Not here!
Модератор. Не являюсь сотрудником RitLabs (I'm not an employee of Ritlabs). https://belrus.biz/vendors/ritlabs.html

Same here ... no choice of viewer and similar error messages.

"Unfortunately i cannot select or change anything at the "View plain text mesages" section. The field there is just blank, nothing to select.Same for the "View HTML messages" and "View messages with alternative layout" section - just an empty field"

Daniel van Rooijen wrote:
That's puzzling, Doug. I would reboot the PC and launch The Bat with Admin privileges to see if that makes the options reappear. If it doesn't help, maybe a reinstall (newly released v11.0.2) is in order -- and if that doesn't help either, please report it to the developers ('Support' menu above).
I now have a usable setup on my laptop. I did a "repair" install of 11.0.2. Restored my latest tbk backup. (only a couple of days old).
The editor preferences are still blank not allowing any changes to be made.

This issue only presented itself on my laptop. My desktop was fine. Some mail folder still had the new view happening, while others had blank message bodies. Setting the Classic View didn't fix it.

Miloš Radovanović wrote:
Dave Siro wrote:
Unfortunately i cannot select or change anything at the "View plain text mesages" section. The field there is just blank, nothing to select.Same for the "View HTML messages" and "View messages with alternative layout" section - just an empty field.
Are you telling me that you can't set the preferences as in this screenshot? Strange...

https://imgur.com/a/ma343h6

Feel free to post a screenshot yourself, but you have to use an external service like imgur.
Yes. I have a ticket open. I am being told to go through a uninstall "by hand". I am worried about restoring all the email I have saved. But, the 3 options referred to here are "blank" for me too.
Edited: Frederick Smith - 29 December 2023 02:04:20

Dave Siro wrote:
Hello,

after updating from latest v10 to the new v11 i get a lot of "access violation at adress 00000000027667CF in module TheBat64.exe".
FIrst it happend only after selecting one particular archived message. But now it starts happening all the time, e.g. after starting theBat, after switching from one mail account to another and when selecting some mails to read them - even some older mails.
Anybody else have this kind of problems?
[I am responding to this message because I could not figure out how to edit/modify an existing message. I clicked on Modify and Edit and it seemed that I was not allowed to type anything in the message space]
Anyways, I am just curious to see if Ritlabs has found a root cause for this bug. I understand. No bug reporting here. But, without some discussion it is very hard to get useful information?

I have as well contacted the support, but still waiting for some feedback.
However, in the meantime i uninstalled TheBat! and then installed latest version 11.02(64bit) again, but still the same problems(blank messages and not able to change the viewer preferences).
Edited: Dave Siro - 29 December 2023 19:53:10

Has anyone else tried the "Edit as new" on an message with "Access Violation"? If you right-click on a message you were unable to access the normal way?

The temporary workaround, er ... worked. Thank you! Makes it manageable until a fix comes out.

"Has anyone else tried the "Edit as new" on an message with "Access Violation"? If you right-click on a message you were unable to access the normal way?"

Mark

PS Happy New Year.

Mark Strevens wrote:
T  he temporary workaround, er ... worked. Thank you! Makes it manageable until a fix comes out.

"Has anyone else tried the "Edit as new" on an message with "Access Violation"? If you right-click on a message you were unable to access the normal way?"

Mark

PS Happy New Year.
Yes. I would like a fix that works for most folks. I only noticed this after updating to version 11.x. I have a lot of email that I want to preserve. Important stuff all the way down to the more trivial.

For all folks having trouble viewing some messages in the classic message viewer (also having trouble with Options -> Preferences... -> Viewer/Editor), a couple more things to try:

- View -> Use Plain Text Viewer should also force viewing of plain text messages in the non-HTML viewer.

- Disabling CEF altogether by running TB with the /ForceNoCEF command line option. In this case the old address book interface must be used (Options -> Preferences...-> Other Options -> Use old Address Book interface), as well as the classic message viewer (Options -> Preferences...-> Viewer/Editor -> Use Classic Preview Pane).

Miloš Radovanović wrote:
/ForceNoCEF
Tried both of your suggestions, but none of it helped to make the "blank" emails visible again.
After starting TheBat with Disabling CEF the "access violation" errors were gone and no crashes anymore, but still couln´t made the blank mails visible again(even with standard preview pane).

Thanks for trying to help.

Miloš Radovanović wrote:
For all folks having trouble viewing some messages in the classic message viewer (also having trouble with Options -> Preferences... -> Viewer/Editor), a couple more things to try:

- View -> Use Plain Text Viewer should also force viewing of plain text messages in the non-HTML viewer.

- Disabling CEF altogether by running TB with the /ForceNoCEF command line option. In this case the old address book interface must be used (Options -> Preferences...-> Other Options -> Use old Address Book interface), as well as the classic message viewer (Options -> Preferences...-> Viewer/Editor -> Use Classic Preview Pane).
Can provide the steps necessary to setup ForceNoCef?  

Frederick Smith wrote:
Can provide the steps necessary to setup ForceNoCef?  
In the direct access link, write:

"C:\Program Files\The Bat!\TheBat64.exe"  /ForceNoCEF

For those who have problems seeing some messages in the classic messages, this is a temporary solution until they fix the preferences listbox -> viewer/editor

Create file.reg to modify the Windows Registry (Regedit), the object is to restore the preference values in the configurations "HTML View Mode", "Text-HTML View Mode", and "Message Preview Type".

Help file with file.reg:  RIT_fix_Viewer-Editor_TheBat!11.0.2.reg
Code
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\RIT\The Bat!]
"HTML View Mode"=dword:00000000
"Text-HTML View Mode"=dword:00000001
"Message Preview Type"=dword:00000000

Dave Siro wrote:
Tried both of your suggestions, but none of it helped to make the "blank" emails visible again.After starting TheBat with Disabling CEF the "access violation" errors were gone and no crashes anymore, but still couln´t made the blank mails visible again(even with standard preview pane).

OK, we're getting somewhere. The access violations were definitely caused by CEF. Please open a ticket for that problem using the support link above, help the developers reproduce the issue.

As for invisible e-mails, this is a long shot but worth a try: View -> Character Set, check if there is any funny business going on there.
Pages: 1 2 Next