Pages: 1
RSS
Removing the adresses, How to show only the names

Hello,

When forwarding messages I don't want to include the addresses of all the original addressees but only their names. I mean, if I use the %OTo macros the names and addresses are shown:

TO: "My friend" <myfriend@anysite.com>, "John Doe" <jdoe@hotmail.com>, ...

I want only the names to be shown. Something like that:

TO: "My friend", "John Doe", ...

In order to protect their privacy but I can't find a suitable macro to do it. Should I use regexp? How?

TIA

What you are asking for is not actually possible or even remotely useful.

What you are looking for is BCC. Write "To:" yourself and BCC to the people you are sending to. That way only you see the addresses and your recipients see only your address and their own.

In the internet universe, you cannot send a message to somebody by name alone. Microsoft allow you to think you can by hiding the addresses in message lists, but a quick glance at the message source (easily available) reveals all anyway.
iviarck

What you are asking for is not actually possible or even remotely useful.

What you are looking for is BCC

I think I didn't explain very well what I want to do.

When I forward a message, the original adresses are included in the body of the message because a I have a template with this line:

Code
To: %OToList

Which means that in the message body appear the text "To: " followed by the list of the original addresses. This list includes the name and the address of the original adressees and I don't want the adresses to be included, just the names.

There is a macro that shows only the name of the addressee (%OToName) but it only works with the first address in the list.

I think this macro would be very useful because IMHO is a good idea, when forwarding a message, to give information about who has already received this message but without giving more information than necessary (i.e. the names but not the address)

Anyway, I've created a regexp that allows you to replace all the <jdoe@hotmail.com> with <jdoe@... >. It's not exactly what I was looking for but... :-/
Pages: 1