Pages: Prev. 1 2
RSS
Access violation after update to TheBat! v11

Frank Meche wrote:
Frederick Smith wrote:
   Can provide the steps necessary to setup ForceNoCef?  
In the direct access link, write:

"C:\Program Files\The Bat!\TheBat64.exe"  /ForceNoCEF
I would love to try this. In the location above is "TBLauncher64.exe". Is this what you are referring? Are you suggesting we modify the shortcut in the "All apps"?
EDIT: I created a shortcut on the desktop to "C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\The Bat!\Main\11.0.2.0\64\TheBat64.exe" /ForceNoCEF . [The last part added]
After starting the app, Exit, the "X", and right-click on icon in Taskbar do not close the window. I had to kill it via Process Explorer. The app does not display any previews for any messages. But, it does not crash. Also, double-clicking on the header of a message does not bring up anything.
Edited: Frederick Smith - 31 December 2023 17:58:46

Frank Meche wrote:
For those who have problems seeing some messages in the classic messages, this is a temporary solution until they fix the preferences listbox -> viewer/editor

Create file.reg to modify the Windows Registry (Regedit), the object is to restore the preference values in the configurations "HTML View Mode", "Text-HTML View Mode", and "Message Preview Type".

Help file with file.reg:   RIT_fix_Viewer-Editor_TheBat!11.0.2.reg
Code
 Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\RIT\The Bat!]
"HTML View Mode"=dword:00000000
"Text-HTML View Mode"=dword:00000001
"Message Preview Type"=dword:00000000
Hi, I just used the above REG file. Rebooted [just in case]. I could not see any difference at all?

Frank Meche wrote:
For those who have problems seeing some messages in the classic messages, this is a temporary solution until they fix the preferences listbox -> viewer/editor

Create file.reg to modify the Windows Registry (Regedit), the object is to restore the preference values in the configurations "HTML View Mode", "Text-HTML View Mode", and "Message Preview Type".

Help file with file.reg:   RIT_fix_Viewer-Editor_TheBat!11.0.2.reg
Code
 Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\RIT\The Bat!]
"HTML View Mode"=dword:00000000
"Text-HTML View Mode"=dword:00000001
"Message Preview Type"=dword:00000000

Unfortunately it didn´t help.
The first time i started  TheBat after applying the reg.patch it first seemed ok, i could see some  messages that i couldn´t see before.
But as soon as i switched to another email account i got an "access violation" error and after that i didnt work anymore - the mails blank again.
I tried it again with /ForceNoCEF, but this didn´t helped either, even after applying the reg.patch again.
Also, after the reg.patch the Prefences/"View plain/HTML/akt, text mesages" section was still empty/blank.

The Viewer/Editor configuration menu listbox do not work or work until a new version of the program comes to light.

Every time we enter this global configuration option and closed with the OK button, the program how it has no content in the 3 drop -down lists boxes, change the values of the Window register for:
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ SOFTWARE \ RIT \ THE BAT!]
"Html view mode" = dword: ffffffff
"Text-Html view mode" = dword: fffffff
"Message Preview Type" = Dword: Fffffff

These ffffffff are null values, so you don't see the content of some emails.

With Patch.reg, what we do is restore the values to correct values for the program, so that at the beginning of the program you have the valid configuration and we can see the content of the emails, according to their way of vision.

We must not re -enter through the Viewer/Editor's global menu, since when closing the menu with the OK button, first change in temporary memory these values for values 0xfffffffff = null, and also when closing the program the program is rewritten the values of the Windows Registry with null values.

In these cases we must run the Patch.reg file again.

Recommendation: Once the Patch.reg is applied not to enter the Viewer/Editor menu, until we have a new version of Thebat!.

The "access violation" errors are usually originated in most of the time by the CEF files, which when updating the program sometimes there are conflicts of versions with others previously installed.

To check the route where CEF files are
Execute the direct access of Thebat with the "/checkCEFpath" modifier command

Then, they can go to that path and eliminate the CEF folder and all its content (subfolders and files).
Then they have to return to the installer of your version of Thebat!, With the option to repair.

Frank Meche wrote:
The "access violation" errors are usually originated in most of the time by the CEF files, which when updating the program sometimes there are conflicts of versions with others previously installed.

To check the route where CEF files are
Execute the direct access of Thebat with the "/checkCEFpath" modifier command

Then, they can go to that path and eliminate the CEF folder and all its content (subfolders and files).
Then they have to return to the installer of your version of Thebat!, With the option to repair.
1. Do you mean the  user [me] deletes that CEF folder and all it contents? 2. Now, i run the installer v11.0.2 and it will take care of the repair? Or, am I missing something here?

Frederick Smith wrote:
1. Do you mean the  user [me] deletes that CEF folder and all it contents?
2. Now, i run the installer v11.0.2 and it will take care of the repair? Or, am I missing something here?
Correct, this is the order of the steps to be followed by you as a user, to repair the CEF files.

Frank Meche wrote:
Frederick Smith wrote:
1. Do you mean the  user [me] deletes that CEF folder and all it contents?
2. Now, i run the installer v11.0.2 and it will take care of the repair? Or, am I missing something here?
Correct, this is the order of the steps to be followed by you as a user, to repair the CEF files.
I did this. Delete the CEF folder within The Bat folder and not the one outside. This did not seem to make much of a difference. i.e. Access Violations
I wanted try the latest REG file above. But, when I copied the script into a REG file and tried to merge it into the registry I got an error message. Where is "patch.reg" you mentioned above?

Frederick Smith,

in it

patch.reg = RIT_fix_Viewer-Editor_TheBat!11.0.2.reg

Frank Meche wrote:
Frederick Smith,

in it

patch.reg =  RIT_fix_Viewer-Editor_TheBat!11.0.2.reg
Ah, thanks for the clarification. I pointed out in my post above about this that it did not help me. I am beginning to think I may have do a "uninstall by hand" that was suggested in a Ticket. Although, I already used Total Uninstall to do this. TU is kind of like the gold standard here. I have so many important messages. Part of the process in the ticket involves moving that folder - "Open the Mail-folder via "Start -> Run -> %email% -> OK" and move it to another location on your disk." The question once you have confirmed that things are better is can you move this folder(s) back again? And, part of this involves NOT using Backup/Restore. And, on and on...
EDIT: I searched through the Help Topics and could not find "Read as New" anywhere?
Edited: Frederick Smith - 03 January 2024 00:24:32
Pages: Prev. 1 2