Pages: 1
RSS
V11 indexing problems

Hello The Bat Users!

I am one of the many users having this "database indexing" problems.
Here is some info I have noticed when using The Bat v11

- Database indexing runs after each restart, with me that is next day in the morning.
- Even after indexing completes, the Search function is SLOOOOW on my desktop.
- The Search funtion on my 9 year old laptop is MUCH faster, even though my desktop is a much more powerfull system.
- Yes, I do have my user and email folders on a hdd instead of SSD, but the search on the HDD used to be fast also.
  Especially this current HDD is a Western Digital Enterprise Gold disk Series....it's fast as f@ck!
- Disabling the threaded view and using the Classic view does not make ANY difference.
- You do not need any special tools to see hard disk usage by process or exe file, just run Resource Monitor in windows 10 or 11.
 In my case I see hundreds and hundreds of instances of thebat.exe doing the database indexing each several dozen KB, but all together quite a few MB's per second!!......trashing the HDD.
- This obviously hasn't been thought trough very well.....SqlLight is as crap as you can get and should NEVER ever been used for this. Obviously a full fledged SQL server is also not the way to go for a consumer desktop application. There are MANY other ways this could have been solved that are way better.
- For now I have disabled the indexing function......but it still boggles the mind why a decade old laptop is much faster when using the search option??

I really hope Ritlabs will solve this in an efficient manner instead of a "quick patch", I am willing to wait on a good solution.

Post all of this to the support ticket. Here the users forum. We can only cry with you together.
Модератор. Не являюсь сотрудником RitLabs (I'm not an employee of Ritlabs). https://belrus.biz/vendors/ritlabs.html

SQLite itself won't be the problem, it functions perfectly in countless applications, e.g. Firefox, Lightroom, ThumbsPlus, et cetera.

It's good to hear that the indexing does eventually finish. That means it isn't stuck in some infinite loop.

Has anyone tried to boot Windows in Safe Mode, and then run The Bat to see if the indexing is still slow? Some of the symptoms could be explained by antivirus software interfering, and this would (temporarily) circumvent that.
I volunteer as a moderator to help keep the forum tidy. I do not work for Ritlabs SRL.

Daniel van Rooijen wrote:
Has anyone tried to boot Windows in Safe Mode, and then run The Bat to see if the indexing is still slow? Some of the symptoms could be explained by antivirus software interfering, and this would (temporarily) circumvent that.

Tried it: same behavior.

I have posted this already to support also last week :-)
For now I am trying the latest suggestion from support: delete the index db file and let TB rebuild it.....just in case something got corrupted.

I have a slight suspicion this won't make any difference. But I need to wait at least a day more until I have restarted TB a few times to see if it starts rebuilding the index again the same way despite the file being deleted or not.

I have been using TB for over 15 years.......paid for EACH new version as soon as it came out. But this time they really dropped the ball :-(

jan klaassen wrote:
I have posted this already to support also last week

So did I, good. The more the merrier  :)

jan klaassen wrote:
For now I am trying the latest suggestion from support: delete the index db file and let TB rebuild it.....just in case something got corrupted. I have a slight suspicion this won't make any difference. But I need to wait at least a day more until I have restarted TB a few times to see if it starts rebuilding the index again the same way despite the file being deleted or not.

From my experience it just starts over no matter what.

How many messages do you have in your message base? POP3 or IMAP?

I have an SSD and it takes 10-15 minutes for over 140000 messages downloaded from a POP3 account. Writes about 7GB to the SSD each time, which I estimate will shorten it's life span by about 5 times if I keep using it (which I won't, of course).

jan klaassen wrote:
I have been using TB for over 15 years.......paid for EACH new version as soon as it came out. But this time they really dropped the ball

Over 20 years here, maybe even 25. Yup, they sure did  :oops:  
Edited: Miloš Radovanović - 15 January 2024 18:59:17

The latest iteration is kind of disaster and I will never understand why TB! is not properly tested before releasing a final version. This is why I'm testing out some other email clients - and frankly I am pleasantly surprised at how much progress has been made by these competetive apps. Even though I bought the upgrade to version 11 I think I'll give other mail clients a chance if this problem is not solved really quickly.

[Link removed - let's not use Ritlabs' hospitality to promote competing products - Daniel]

jan klaassen wrote:
Hello The Bat Users!

I am one of the many users having this "database indexing" problems.
Here is some info I have noticed when using The Bat v11

- Database indexing runs after each restart, with me that is next day in the morning.
- Even after indexing completes, the Search function is SLOOOOW on my desktop.
- The Search funtion on my 9 year old laptop is MUCH faster, even though my desktop is a much more powerfull system.
- Yes, I do have my user and email folders on a hdd instead of SSD, but the search on the HDD used to be fast also.
  Especially this current HDD is a Western Digital Enterprise Gold disk Series....it's fast as f@ck!
- Disabling the threaded view and using the Classic view does not make ANY difference.
- You do not need any special tools to see hard disk usage by process or exe file, just run Resource Monitor in windows 10 or 11.
 In my case I see hundreds and hundreds of instances of thebat.exe doing the database indexing each several dozen KB, but all together quite a few MB's per second!!......trashing the HDD.
- This obviously hasn't been thought trough very well.....SqlLight is as crap as you can get and should NEVER ever been used for this. Obviously a full fledged SQL server is also not the way to go for a consumer desktop application. There are MANY other ways this could have been solved that are way better.
- For now I have disabled the indexing function......but it still boggles the mind why a decade old laptop is much faster when using the search option??

I really hope Ritlabs will solve this in an efficient manner instead of a "quick patch", I am willing to wait on a good solution.
How do I disable the indexing function  ?

Julian Ionchev wrote:

It should be under Options | Preferences | General
I volunteer as a moderator to help keep the forum tidy. I do not work for Ritlabs SRL.

Daniel van Rooijen wrote:
Julian Ionchev wrote:

It should be under Options | Preferences | General

Мany thanks !

Good news regarding indexing (hopefully): I tried the latest beta v11.0.4.12, and indexing performance is drastically improved. The initial SQLite index build which used to take 51 minutes on my message base (with virtual folders, 28 minutes without) now takes around a minute. For subsequent starts of TB disk activity is negligible. I haven't tested it for an extended period, but it seems that the conversation view indexing has become usable for people with large downloaded message bases.

New view is an ugly thing. I don't know how to use it this normally and for a work things. I don't know anyone who's likes disabled attaches pane or headers pane, and who's likes this rounded corners that kills space. All this new preview just an error for the hell fire, IMHO.  

My wish is about new indexing threads showing with classic preview pane. Strange that this not added.
Модератор. Не являюсь сотрудником RitLabs (I'm not an employee of Ritlabs). https://belrus.biz/vendors/ritlabs.html

George Salnik wrote:
New view is an ugly thing. I don't know how to use it this normally and for a work things. I don't know anyone who's likes disabled attaches pane or headers pane, and who's likes this rounded corners that kills space. All this new preview just an error for the hell fire, IMHO.  My wish is about new indexing threads showing with classic preview pane. Strange that this not added.

I share your sentiment. OTOH, some folks expressed their liking of the conversation view on this forum... To each their own.

Unfortunately, the classic view will probably take a back seat going forward. Today I noticed that some messages containing event invites lock up TB v11.0.4.12 when viewed with the classic pane, which wasn't happening in v11.0.4.6. The conversation view seems unaffected. I submitted a ticket to support.

>> TB v11.0.4.12 when viewed with the classic pane,
I still don't use it TB! Calendar because repeating events shows as a mess. That's another problem not for this thread.
And I wanna uset it TB! because MS calendar in Windows goes to ugly new outlook that I don't wanna use it. Wait this fixing bug many month already.

>> classic view
- no corners, no repeating buttons
- attachment panel
- tags panel

That's is better than ugly "new preview" from all corners of view. New previe pane is a "pain in the ass". Indexing and view threads through all folders needs to be added for the classic preview!

George Salnik wrote:
I still don't use it TB! Calendar because repeating events shows as a mess. That's another problem not for this thread.

Me neither. All I need from TB is to show basic event information from the attached .ics files. This is implemented in the conversation view, but not in the classic view.

One of these days I'll do a ticket for calendar "improvements". First order of business - an option to disable the calendar completely. As is now, TB automatically inserts event information into the calendar and scheduler when an event invitation is viewed, and there is no way to disable that. If I happen to browse through some old invitations, it will enter them into the calendar and scheduler, and keep reminding me of events that happened years ago. Yes, I can manually purge events from the scheduler, but that's hardly ideal. I'll stop myself here, wrong topic.
Edited: Miloš Radovanović - 28 March 2024 10:46:26
Pages: 1