Pages: 1
RSS
10.5.2.1 and gmail OAUTH problem, 10.5.2.1 and gmail OAUTH problem

I have latest version of The Bat!,
I get message from some gmail accuont that I need to make OAUTH authorisation.
Even I made this produce correct and paste correct link then The Bat! do not accept this code and do not made nothing.
Not all configured gmail accounts have this problem.
This program have always many problem that I need some big part of life to solve them all :-)

I don't use Gmail through TB myself, but I think I've seen reports where recreating the account can help with such problems. By recreating I mean backing up the message base, deleting the account and creating it anew.

Same problem here with same version 1.5.2.1.

What doesn't work
  • Deleting the account and creating a new one doesn't help. The problem is the same when setting up the new account.
  • Also the "open system browser" doesn't work for me. All it does is opens Explorer (not IE) in the AppData/Temp folder with no file selected.
I've managed to make some partial progress though:
  • When clicking the login, providing the account name and observing the failure message. Right-click the "try again" button, take the URL it leads to and paste it to a normal browser which is Google authenticated.
  • Then you can go into the auth flow in Google, it correctly identifies the request comes from The Bat.
  • When you approve it says the window/tab can be closed.
  • Taking the URL (or the code from the URL parameters) and pasting it in the Bat "URL/code" field does NOT help. Nothing happens.
My wild guess, not knowing The Bat's code:
  • Apart from some minor issues, I think the core of the issue seems to be that the OAUTH flow in The Bat seems to be using some blocking thread and there's some concurrency issue.
  • Same way - the account cannot be deleted after the OAUTH pop up shows up. Also even closing The Bat gracefully is not an option, you need to kill it in the Task Manager.
All in all, I think this is some shortcoming on The Bat's side. Likely because something has changed on Google side.

I am having the same issue with the same version of The Bat.

Seems like a job for the devs, please report the problems using the support link above.

Hi,
Same problem here.

Reported yesterday, opened support ticket , still waiting.
Regards

Same problem here. I'm experiencing this problem since 10.4.X I guess.

Still no luck here.
I've just opened a support ticket (168827). First ever towards The Bat in all these years. We'll see how it goes.

Ritlabs support has responded with the following advice:
1. Enable the 2-Step Verification in your Google account under "Security".
2. Generate an app specific password, please see https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/185833?hl=en
3. In The Bat! turn off the OAuth authentication protocol for Gmail  accounts by selecting "Regular" under the "Account\Properties\Transport  -> Receive mail -> Authentication" menu.
4. Paste the app password, save changes and try to send/receive mail in that account.

Which has worked for me.
In case you are looking for "app-specific password" section - it's within the 2-step verification. Not under as the Google Support article says.

G O wrote:

2. Generate an app specific password, please see  https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/185833?hl=en
3. In The Bat! turn off the OAuth authentication protocol for Gmail  accounts by selecting "Regular" under the "Account\Properties\Transport  -> Receive mail -> Authentication" menu.
4. Paste the app password, save changes and try to send/receive mail in that account.

Which has worked for me.
In case you are looking for "app-specific password" section - it's  within  the 2-step verification. Not under as the Google Support article says.

Thanks for posting the workaround.

TB 10.5.3 was just released today, containing a fix regarding OAUTH tokens. Maybe it can do the trick.

G O wrote:

2. Generate an app specific password, please see  https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/185833?hl=en

Which has worked for me.
In case you are looking for "app-specific password" section - it's  within  the 2-step verification. Not under as the Google Support article says.
That actually worked... I cannot believe it... thanks a bunch.

Some notes:
  • - When you click on Google Account -> Security -> 2-Step Verification, you will need to have that activated first. In my case I gave Google my handy number and clicked on text messages as the feedback option (I have a super old handy).
  • - After having turned on 2-Step Verification, go back to the same main menu, Google Account -> Security -> 2-Step Verification, click on that, and only now scroll down the page to App passwords -> ">" (click on the > char).
  • - There "create a new app specific password" by entering "The Bat!" (Apparently you can use any name, just as long as you remember what app that password belongs to.)... I used the exact app name of The Bat!, the one I "OK"-ed a few years back, to allow access to the emails.
  • - Differing from the steps in the https link above, you have to copy the generated password into your clipboard for use in Step 4 ("Paste the app password" above).
  • - Note: I actually copied and pasted the password into my programmers' editor to verify the password does not have invisible "junk" chars attached, in my case it was an unwanted extra space " "-char. So I copied the PW to the clipboard again without the space.
  • - After turning off OAuth to Regular, click OK in The Bat!, and then via Account Properties -> Transport -> Receive Mail -> Password text box clipboard paste the password. Click on OK button.
  • - A F2-key-press (Get New Mail) should immediately download the emails that have been "stuck" on your GoogleMail account.
This is probably all redundant, but maybe it helps folks avoid potential stumbling blocks.

Side note: As others have mentioned, I only had to change to the App Password for my main googlemail account, my other gmail account is still using OAuth just fine. Very strange.
Edited: AEon - 17 December 2023 11:06:38

Had a hellish day after sending my main machine for repairs and trying to get going on my old notebook.   I finally installed the new v 11 trial and did a restore and then, of course, I didn't get my Gmail.

I read the solution above and just don't have the brains anymore today, so I followed the instructions here:

https://www.ritlabs.com/en/news/7799/

It is batshit crazy that I have to give TB access to not only DELETE all my contacts and emails,  but the CURRENT notice includes the calendar too.   I've stopped at that point about 10 times, but I'm too tired now and just want that "ding" for the email check failure to stop.

So, I finally agreed, and I downloaded 3 emails, so suppose everything's ok.   Except that I'm EXTREMELY uncomfortable with giving access to delete everything.

I don't even remember that being an issue at any time before (used TB since 2015) and it really shouldn't be so hard.

Another reason I didn't do the app password is that I don't want to have 2FA at Gmail.  Is it ok to turn it off again and TB will still get the emails?
Pages: 1