Pages: 1
RSS
Filter to move messages sent from specific folder

I KNOW it can be done but I can't figure out how.  I have an account that has several folders and subfolders. I have a specific folder called "Admin". A subfolder of "Admin" is "Sent".

I already have a filter to mover certain RECEIVED messages to the "Admin" folder. Now, I want a filter that moves admin messages that I reply to into the "Sent" subfolder.

I've tried using the "Source" folder filter but that doesn't work.

Suggestions are GREATLY appreciated!!

Thanks,

Ron

Ron,

I don't know whether your adminmessages have something in common like a unique from address. In that case you could filter on that.
Another option would be to alter your templates (either your account templates or your folder templates for that specific folder) to include the macro: %Comment="%FolderName"%-
That way you can filter on a Comment header containing the folder name.

You might consider filtering both incomin and outgoing admin messages to the same folder, that way you can display them threaded and you'll have questions and answers grouped together.

Hey Roelof:

Thanks for your reply, it reminded me that all messages sent from my "admin" folder contain a CC: address. So, I can filter on the CC:!

I must say, that I'm surprised that it not possible to just filter messages based on what folder they are sent from.

Ron

Another option would be to alter your templates (either your account templates or your folder templates for that specific folder) to include the macro: %Comment="%FolderName"%-
That way you can filter on a Comment header containing the folder name.

I think I have a better, easier and more complex solution (polish version is on page http://konrad_sz.republika.pl/tb/docelowy.htm).

First - header 'comment' should be for comments, so we need to create a new header (see Message Headers in Preferences), called X-Folder. We must to check option 'Allow to edit this field in the Message Editor'.

Now we should use a macro %FOLDERFULLNAME (introduced in 3.81.14). There is one trap - some folders in The Bat have a 'displayed' name and 'internal' name, macro catches a displayed name but to move a message in filter operation TB uses 'internal'. In English 'Sent Mail' is 'Sent', Quarantine is $qrntn$ and so on. In other languages there is always 8 folders to change. I've created a simple template 'foldername' http://konrad_sz.republika.pl/tb/files/foldername.txt
with English, Polish and German versions. Download and install.

Now we can use this template(called 'foldername' - see %QINCLUDE macro). In templates for accounts (or folders, or in address book) for a new messages and replies we must to add a macro

Code
%SetHeader('X-Folder','%QINCLUDE(foldername)')%-

Now in headers of created messages should be a patch to folder.

Last piece is an 'Outgoing mail' filter, which moves messages:
http://konrad_sz.republika.pl/tb/files/repliestofolder.txt

KS, thanks for your suggestions. They are too much for me but they did help me better understand that I can use the %SetHeader macro, which I did as follows:

Under folder properties, I included the following in the reply template: %SetHeader("Comments","Admin")

I then set up an outgoing filter where the Header Field "Comments" contains "Admin" to move the message to the Admin/Sent folder.  Unfortunately, the filter is not working. I can see that the comments' field does contain Admin, but the filter it not catching it.

Any help?

Ron

Never mind, I found the "problem", as usual it was operator error.
Pages: 1