Pages: 1
RSS
MATCH vs. CONTAINS vs. MATCHES ANY OF, how filter conditions work exactly ?

Hi,

when crating a filter I can choose between many conditions.
Can someone please clearly explain what's the difference between some of them, like how
MATCH / CONTAINS / MATCHES ANY OF / MATCHES ANY OF AS REGEX differ ?

In which case using MATCH in a filter condition will produce a different result compared to using CONTAINS or MATCHES ANY OF ?

In which case the find pattern is treated as a regex (for example, a dot [.] in it has a special meaning and has to be escaped[\.] to match it literally) and in which case it is treated as a literal text(dot means just literally dot) ?

In which case pipe | character in the find pattern means OR-linking (text1|text2 means "text1" OR "text2") and in which case | is treated literally (text1|text2 means just the string "text1|text2") ?

What "message source" exactly means?
If a message has another message attached (.msg attachment) - will search in the message source find matches form the attached .msg or not?

This is not clearly explained in the help.
Thaks

I'm hoping this touches on what I want to do. How do I tell it to sort any mail that contains an address from a group in my address book? For example, if I have several addresses in a group called Ham Radio, how do I tell it to look for any address contained in that group instead of searching for each address individually in the filter?

The two questions aren't related. I'm not sure when to use any of the matches conditions.
The contains condition is easy.
When you want to sort on address book groups, you use contains. Filtering on your 'Ham Radio' group is done by creating this condition:
address group - Ham Radio - contains - sender
In stead of sender you can also use 'sender and all recipients', in the latter case you'd better place your own address in the Ham Radio group too.
I'm using the sender and all recipients condition regularly, because some of my contacts are part of multiple groups that are all used for sorting. So depending on the other recipients of the message the message gets sorted in the proper folder. In case I'm the only recipient the message triggers the first filter with a matching address group.

For optimum results of address book usage it's important that you haven't got multiple address book entries with the same address. Every contact can be part of multiple address groups, so you don't have to create multiple entries because your contact needs to be placed in multiple groups.

Ok, I was thinking backwards trying to see how this would work. I was thinking the filter would be Sender contains any of Ham Radio but couldn't see how to make that work.
Pages: 1