Pages: 1
RSS
hyphen causing problem ?, hyphen in email address causing problem

Hi,

I have a template which works perfectly well with any email address that I've tried so far with the exception of one that contains a hyphen ..

walkeld@fair-rite.com

when I use the above it causes the random generated cookie phrase to disappear as soon as I click the cursor on the page.

Any ideas and/or help (apart from telling the person to use an email address without a hyphen :-) would be appreciated.

thanks,

Michael

Just thought that I would add ...

If I enter '' around the email address like so ...
Stan <'walkeld@fair-rite.com'> then the macros work ok
but the message can't be sent.

thanks,

Mike

What macro doesn't work with that address? (Give the whole relevant part of the template as you use it.)

Is the problem occurring with addressees in your address book, outside of your AB or doesn't is matter whether the addresses are in your AB.

Below is the template that is causing the problem. The template is used on a folder and not my address book. I have several that work and this one works too if I use an address without a hyphen.

%modifyonce("To")%-
%To=""%To="Stan <walkeld@fair-rite.com>"
Hi Dan,

%Cursor

--
%Cookie="C:\Program Files\The Bat!\cookie.txt"

Dad  )))                  mailto:%FromAddr

if you try the above you will find that all is well until you attempt to type a message and then the bottom half disappears. Seems you will need to put something in the cookie folder to test it :-)

thanks for you help,

Mike

I'm lost, since it works for me, my only alteration was a different filepath for the cookie file.
What version of TB are you using?
To keep the empty line above the "Hi Dan," away you could use another instance of the %- macro, it might even fix thisproblem for you (because of the odd ways these things work sometimes), but it's merely a matter of esthetics.

For myself I don't really like self addressing folder templates, because I've seen several cases of people who got seriously bitten by one. Like this guy who sent an order for tickets to a mailing list (with its own folder and self addressing folder templates) in stead of the guys who had to process that order.
Depending on the nature of the message such an instance can be merely embarrassing or really dramatic.  

Hi,

I'm using 3.0.1.33

When you say that it works for you - did you try typing anything ?

It works for me until I do that.

"you could use another instance of the %- macro"

Not sure how to do what you're suggesting here ?

thanks for the help,

Mike

Like this:

Code
%modifyonce("To")%-
%To=""%To="Stan <walkeld@fair-rite.com>"%-
Hi Dan, 

The %- macro suppresses extra blank lines. Every line of macro code will cause a blank line in the resulting template unless you add the %- to the end of it.

That's all Roelof was saying there.
iviarck

Marck Pearlstone wrote:
Like this:

%modifyonce("To")%-
Hi Dan,

The %- macro suppresses extra blank lines. Every line of macro code will cause a blank line in the resulting template unless you add the %- to the end of it.

//.arck
Marck Pearlstone wrote:
Like this:

%modifyonce("To")%-
Hi Dan,

//.arck

The above also solved the problem  :D

Thank you both,

Michael
Pages: 1