Pages: 1
RSS
Customer for 10 Years, first problem

My old hard drive failed and I am trying to instal the backup onto new PC.

I have tried installing several different versions of the bat and always get the same problem:
1. "error reading file" when try to restore backup

2. when i try to send mail it says error:
"message xxxx with subject xxxx is not properly addressed"

I have tried erasing and uninstalling all Bat files many times to instal fresh copy. I even erased all registry for "RIT".

I have spent about 8 hours trying to fix this with no luck.

It is strange because I am able to get The Bat to work fine on old Windows XP machine. I am even able to use the same backup copy to restore with no problem.

Please please please help, very frustrated.

Mike

TB's backups (and message base) can have different formats for different versions. So you need to install the same vrsion of TB when restoring a backup.

Thank you for the info.

I think I have already tried this. But I will try again.

But a larger problem is this error when I try to send email:

I get this error even from setting up new email accounts into Bat when no data is restored.

Originally I was able to get the restored data to load but I could not send or reply to emails, so I removed the Bat to instal a fresh copy, that is when I ran into the problem with restoring data.

Any ideas on fixing this?

Mike

Someone please help, I need my email to function correctly again.

The main issue is that I get this error:

I have opened a support ticket more than 24 hours ago with no response!

Please, I need my email to work again!

Mike

Check your address line for bad characters or extra spaces or anything else that would cause the message to be rejected. I get a similar message when I do a reply and <undisclosed recipients> is on one of the address lines, which is of course not a valid email address

Thank you, that is not the problem. I have tried all types of email addresses, I even have tried to reply to the email the comes automatically from The Bat! I have tried to reply to other emails as well. Tried typing in email also.

I think it is a registry problem from when I tried installing a different version of Bat!

I will try registry cleaner and try to instal again.

I have found other people with this same problem over the years and none of them have ever posted a solution to this.

Mike
PRBuzz.com

Before you do that, check and see if your SMTP settings are correct too -
Please post what versions you have used before and after the problem occured - it may help someone else figure this out with you

I think the bottom line of things is that TB has a really poor back up system and while the concept of one big backup file that instantly restores everything in the event of a crash is attractive, you'll find countless posts suggesting that the backup stalls.  

The best way is to back up the entire directory housing TB (I have it on a separate partition) and when you switch PCs (or have a crash) you just copy that entire directory to the new PC and have TB point to that directory.  Of course this is all contingent on the fact that you have made intermittent backups of the directory.  I make incremental backups about once a month.  In the event that you haven't, I suggest you restore your TB directory to the old XP computer you mentioned, then copy the directory to your new PC - preferably on a separate partition (that way if Windows gets corrupted you're less likely to lose your email).  

Just my 2 cents, I'm not an expert and am definitely not a fan of this (rather mediocre) piece of software.

Fahim Jafary wrote:
Just my 2 cents, I'm not an expert and am definitely not a fan of this (rather mediocre) piece of software.

HAHA And what pray tell, do you use that is superior? Outlook Express  ;) (There IS one thing that can be done in outlook express and not the Bat  ;) )

If you have a backup problem, just make sure you back up any files not in the data folder and the RIT registry keys
Put this in a batch file for XP: (adjust it for your login, operating system and whatever name you want for the reg file which should be in your data folder)

regedit /e "C:\Documents and Settings\USER LOGIN\Application Data\The Bat!\FILENAME.reg" HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\RIT

No still using TB - too painful to make a switch (did so from Eudora to TB a few years ago after 15 years of use, was painful enough) and the other choices are even worse.  Doesn't mean TB is anything beyond mediocre though.

The sad truth....

this problem real confuse me some time.

check the thebat_exception.log file, maybe you could find some complain there.

for me, i install foxmail, then delete it from hard drive directly, yes, not use the uninstall, then the bat would not send email at all, always yelling "message xxxx with subject xxxx is not properly addressed".

lucky, i found "MAPI #0: Foxmail [Foxmail]; Path: D:\Program Files\Foxmail 7.2\FMMAPI32.dll (not valid)" in the thebat_exception.log file, so i run regedit, find FMMAPI32.dll, deleted tree contained it. so, it works now.

But it turned out that everything is so simple ...

====================================================

“The Bat!” Error message when sending a mail:
Message from XXXX, subject “Re: YYYYY”, is not properly addressed
December 24, 2014 Mar 5 Comments

This usually happens due to temporarily files created within  %AppData%\Local\Temp ,
which weren’t deleted as they should. Those files  are left in place if, for example,
you kill “The Bat!” from “Task  Manager”.

Close “The Bat!” and delete all bat*.* files from “Temp” directory above,
and you should be able to send messages again.

https://maninune.wordpress.com/2014/12/24/the-bat-error-message-when-sending-a-mail-message-from-xxxx-subject-reyyyyy-is-not-properly-addressed/comment-page-1/#comment-5
Pages: 1