Pages: 1
RSS
Smilies, Where? Missing, and what's required?

After I upgraded to v7, my old smilies disappeared and got replaced by what I'm guessing is the default  Bat smilies.

When I looked in the Images folder they are all PNG files. So, some questions. As my old smilies were GIFs, and animated GIFs, does v7 support animated PNGs? Is there a size limitation? Most of my old smilies were much larger than the default (?) set. The smilies in the default set are all 5K or less.

What does it take to get new smilies recognized in the default images folder? I've converted smilies to pngs, put them into the folder but they don't appear in the displayed smilies. I've made the converted smilies less than 5K and that hasn't helped.

Where is this documented in the bat help files?

Upgrades USED to always wipe out the smilies, but I believe tey have fixed that. Stull, I leep mine backed up after each change
You can also have animated GIF files in the C:\Program Files\The Bat!\Images\Default folder (I am using 64 bit so the 32 bit installation would be in the "Program Files (x86)" folder

Put the new smilies in the default folder then edit the .MSL files and add the references in the same manner as the other items
HINT - you can create other folders such as "christmas: and put appropriate icons in there. Create a new MSL file in images, restart the bat to test if they are there and when you are done, move the christmas.msl file into the christmas icons folder so it will NOT be read until you want to see them - then just move the christmas.msl file back to images and restart the bat

My strategy is to copy the default,msl to another name so I don't have to worry about it being overwritten THEN do all my edits in the new MSL

Well, I've finally done all of the above suggestions. I've have yet to be able to get any of the old smileys to appear. I tried renaming mine both png, and gif without that working.

The default eml file has the following format for smileys:
Smiley = ".\Default\smile002.png", 0, ":(", "sad" .  Interestingly, that smiley to the left is represented in the file by : ( not the smiley which shows in this post) .

I guess I need some more questions answered:

1. Do they have to be named along the lines of smilennn? (Yes, I've done that too.)
1a. Do they need to be 8 characters? (and if so, why in 2016 is this a requirement? That's so 1990s)
2. While the reply above suggests that an animated gif can be used, none of mine will work.
3. How does the numbering actually work? While they are sequential, that's not how they sequentially appear in TheBat's smiley display when I click on it. What's going on?
4. Where is the documentation for the smileys?
5. I've put mine as smile001, and smile021, as well as an additional smiley smile022, and etc. ... without results.
6. Can you attach a copy of your sml file so I can look at the layout?

It's truly frustrating to pay for an "upgrade" and have things which worked no longer work and no information provided to fix what no longer works. I've been using the Bat professional since at least v3 and I'm no longer happy.  
Edited: Jim Kilgannon - 01 August 2016 04:10:56 (Bad smiley conversion)
Pages: 1