Pages: 1
RSS
IMAP settings, or how to convet to POP, I need files left on the server, IMAP isn't doing that.

I work from two computers, so I set up a "backup" e-mail account to make sure that all of the messages I send to clients from one computer are available on the other one. My business e-mail account on each computer is configured to automatically send a blind copy of my e-mails to my backup address. Each computer downloads messages from the backup address and I can sort the messages sent from computer A into the proper folders on computer B and vice versa.

But after working for a week on computer B, I started computer A and there was nothing to download from the backup mail account. Because computer B has apparently been deleting everything from the server as soon as it downloads.

I went into computer B's settings for the backup account and apparently I set it up as an IMAP account. And there is NO setting for "leave messages on the server". So I need to know either 1) how do I set IMAP to leave copies on the server, or 2) how do I change the protocol from IMAP to POP so I can leave copies on the server, because there doesn't seem to be a "change protocol" button?

Weirdly, Wikipedia tells me that "IMAP was designed with the goal of permitting complete management of an email box by multiple email clients, therefore clients generally leave messages on the server until the user explicitly deletes them", but that's the exact opposite of what I've got here. Never had any problems leaving messages on the server with POP.

Please advise!

Wikipedia is correct. If both computers are set up as IMAP, the messages are left on server by default; that is why there is no setting to leave. There is no need to have the backup account, as that may be causing confusion. IMAP is also good for smartphones, letting you send and receive from phone and have messages also accessible from your PC. And if you set up folders on IMAP account on computer A, they will automatically be accessible from computer B. I also work from more than one PC and I treat each as though it were the only one. Then when I'm on other PC or phone, all the messages are there. I do not recommend converting to POP as that creates a horrible dance of trying to keep accounts in sync. Just be sure that all PCs and phone are set for IMAP.  
david

There is also an option that can be used if there is (or can be created) a shared network drive (or thumbdrive if need be) to bring both computers to a common mailstore.

I have used this in the past with excellent results.

--------- 8< --------
The Bat Tools has a Sync function:
Some of us use two or more computers every day, which makes it necessary to synchronize data stored in The Bat! The program offers a tool that allows synchronizing data on two computers that have full access to a shared folder.

Start The Bat! and access the Tools -> Synchronize menu on both computers.

_---------------
Read the help file for more information.

That's interesting; I didn't know that. But I don't see it as a solution for her. She uses computers separately, not at the same time. IMAP manages what she needs by default. However, thanks for the info on sync.  

Jennifer Evans wrote:
But after working for a week on computer B, I started computer A and there was nothing to download from the backup mail account. Because computer B has apparently been deleting everything from the server as soon as it downloads.
This is the reason for the suggestion of using The Bat sync tool. Would assist in bringing both computer A & B mailstores insync.

More information is required to figure out why the issue in the first place. Was it a mail server issue (local, company, Google etc) or network issue that has been corrected.  

I'm confused. Ms Evans is not using a shared folder on a network, so I cannot see how the sync feature applies. If she sets primary account on both computers to IMAP she will have no need for the backup account and no need to download anything. And I'm puzzled why she downloads the backup from computer B after using computer B. It seems she would use computer A to do that. So, it's puzzling. My inference is she has two accounts on each PC. Three are POP and one is IMAP (at least, that's my guess, lacking more info). The issue seems to be on the particular sequence on which they're accessed, so it's conjecture on the specifics. I will politely bow out on this to avoid more confusion. Good luck on this.
david .

david kirk wrote:
I'm confused. Ms Evans is not using a shared folder on a network, so I cannot see how the sync feature applies. If she sets primary account on both computers to IMAP she will have no need for the backup account and no need to download anything.
Yes there is a bit of confusion.
The use of a Shared drive (thumbdrive whatever) that I mentioned is to be used to bring both Computer A and B mailstores back into sync. Not to use as the primary location for a network store of the mailstore (too many chances for network issues unless done correctly)

IMAP is the way to go for sure, which it seems she had Computer B as IMAP from the initial post it is unknown for sure if Computer A was/is set for POP.

Going too far afield, will go back to lurk mode.

Have a good week

Wow, that seems almost too good to be true! So then the same question applies in reverse. Since the main address has been set up as POP -- is there a way to simply change the protocol to IMAP in the settings? Or do I have to delete the account and re-enter it as IMAP?

Jennifer Evans wrote:
Since the main address has been set up as POP -- is there a way to simply change the protocol to IMAP in the settings? Or do I have to delete the account and re-enter it as IMAP?
Jennifer,

No easy way, what I have done is basically this:
  • rename the current POP account to oldname_pop
  • create a new account with the new IMAP settings
  • Copy any current mail filder from oldname_pop to the newly created account
  • confirm mails are there and all ok
  • delete the oldname_pop account
Not the most elegant way but it does work.

I have two accounts originally set up as Pop3. They've been working good for years. Recently need to add another and tried every combination of settings to get it working with imap4 and Comcast.net, but couldn't.
Is there any reason, such as speed or security, to switch to imap4 other than access and syncing from multiple computers and devices? Surprisingly little detailed info on this.
Will use Arnold DeRoy's method if there is a reason to switch. Hard to believe that's the best way, but appreciate his help.

If POP3 is serving all your needs, there is no need to switch. The original poster wanted to send and receive from multiple computers and it's necessary for that environment. It's also good if using a smartphone to send and receive mail and you want to see the received and sent mail from your PC. I suggest contacting comcast for assistance in setting up, as they can advise on server and ports, etc. Good luck,
david  
Pages: 1