Pages: 1
RSS
Archiving eMails from IMAP copying to local folder, migrating from outlook to tb looking for a way to archive emails like in outlook .pst files

Hi,

until now I have been using MS Outlook and basically set up my account as IMAP so I have access to my e-mail from anywhere from any device. However, after a while when I am done with certain e-mails, I used to archive them in a local folder in Outlook. For that I basically created an archive .pst file, whenever I am back at home at my PC, I move everything that I don't need access to anymore to that .pst file.

I'd like to do the same thing with TB, but it won't let me create a "local" folder. I can only create IMAP folders on my email server. But that's exactly what I don't want.

Is there a way that I can create a new local folder to archive old emails? I don't want to use POP. All I want is my IMAP folder and then move everything to a local archive once I don't need that anymore.

Any help would be appreciated.

Kind regards,

Philippe

Well, you could just create an inactive account (pop3 type, and use a bogus server adresses and login credentials if you want to) that never actually contacts a mailserver. Within that account, create one or more folders for your archived messages.

In its Account Properties you'd set these options:

Options | Mailbox Checking: [_] check mailbox at startup.
Options | Mailbox Checking: [_] periodical checking each .. minutes.
Options | [X] Ignore 'Check all Accounts' requests.
I volunteer as a moderator to help keep the forum tidy. I do not work for Ritlabs SRL.

Meh... that's a very uncool solution. :)

Thanks Daniel, I'll have a look into this until I find another way.

Maybe I'm not understanding what you want. I'm assuming by 'local' folder you mean one on your PC. Yet you indicate you can't do that on your email server which would not be 'local' (to me), causing me to be unsure of your intent. If it's a local folder on PC, you can do that with TB! and then move/copy any emails from IMAP account to it. I do that regularly, so maybe I'm misunderstanding what you want to do. If this isn't what you intend, it may help to share more information. Good luck
david

Well, until now I used Outlook setup for IMAP. Which means every IMAP account I used (i.e. Gmail, private server, hotmail. etc.) like in TB got it's own little account, for that Outlook creates its database (usually .pst but for IMAP it's .ost).

However, I don't like my e-mails lying on a server (I use my own webhoster) unless necessary. So periodically I went through my e-mails and deleted unnecessary e-mails (as you do!) and archived important once. But as I don't want to archive them on an IMAP folder on the server, in Outlook I created a local database (so .pst) file and moved everything from IMAP to that "backup". In Outlook that means, I have one server-side IMAP folder for my current affairs and one desktop-side local folder with my backup should I ever need access to it in future.

I know, TB has a backup function, but I basically want access to my archive like a normal folder as it was its own account. Similar to what Daniel described as an inactive POP3 account that never connects. I just hoped there would have been an easier solution (again, me being simple minded: right click into the tree-view, click button that says create local folder, call it backup, move all emails there, being happy). If I understand correclty, that's what Daniel suggested, except that it is an inactive pop3 account in TB.

http://p.miguet.eu/images/thebat/tb_archive.JPG
http://p.miguet.eu/images/thebat/tb_archive_outlook.JPG

Does that make any sense? I don't want to be difficult. :)
I think it's just my being-organisded-OCD kicking in. :D

Philippe

Yes, you're making it far too complicated. Just click Folders>New>Common Folder and it will be created on PC separate from accounts. Good luck.
david

Ha, that's so cool! After 15 years of using The Bat I didn't even know of this very useful feature. Thanks David!
I volunteer as a moderator to help keep the forum tidy. I do not work for Ritlabs SRL.

Ha! That's exactly what I was looking for. Shame that you can't drag and drop folders into it from IMAP to the local folder, just separate emails; but it's a start.

Thank you David!
Edited: Philippe Miguet - 03 December 2017 03:40:17
Pages: 1