Pages: 1
RSS
understanding new mail sound, double sound for any email

To get a sound for new mails I setup a "common" filter on "incoming mail" with a sound to be plaied.
The filter works and I get the sound on any new mail.
But I get the same sound even when I send a mail, despite I have not set any filter on "outgoing mail".
Can someone explain this ? Thanks
Manlio

I don't have an answer, but note that you can also make The Bat play a 'new mail' sound through Account Properties | Sound. Maybe you can use that instead, to get rid of the outgoing sound.

You did not send the message to yourself, right? (which would cause the outgoing message to also be incoming). Could there be another filter that's triggered by an outgoing message? Or, maybe this is an IMAP account and the server returned a copy that The Bat did not recognize as the same outgoing message? Just some wild guesses..
I volunteer as a moderator to help keep the forum tidy. I do not work for Ritlabs SRL.

I thought could be something like your mention, but there is not any returning email and I have no other filters that could be triggered. No filters at all on outogoing ! My accounts are IMAP, but I don't get back any email from the server.
I use the version 8.6 and I have not a "sound" function in Account/Properties .. or I am unable to see it !!!

It turns out that the Sound option for incoming mail only exists for POP3 accounts.

Isn't it so, that when you send a message from an IMAP account, the mail server stores a copy of the message in its Sent Mail folder, and then a copy of that is returned when your mail client (The Bat) synchronizes the Sent Mail folder? That would explain the behavior that you see, and it would explain why IMAP accounts have no sound option.
Edited: Daniel van Rooijen - 12 October 2018 18:06:23
I volunteer as a moderator to help keep the forum tidy. I do not work for Ritlabs SRL.

Daniel first let me thank you as your mind is generating ideas to help my question !
Could be, but I don't find any second copy of the sent email.
Anyhow I like your last idea. But it's only on The Bat team the possibility to verify if it's the solution. Their code could reveal if the sent email copy found in "sent folder" could trigger a filter set in the "inbox".
I presume I have to live with a double sound :-)

Hello, Manlio,
I haven't attempted to test this, but did you set the desired folder? The default is 'any folder' and that includes 'Sent Mail' folder.  Setting for just 'inbox' may suffice. If  you haven't done that yet, I suggest trying it and then letting us know.

A sidenote on IMAP; I know Daniel is right for Outlook, but I think it is incorrect for other IMAP accounts. That is, there are not two entries for sent items. Good luck,
david

Manlio Laschena wrote:
Anyhow I like your last idea. But it's only on The Bat team the possibility to verify if it's the solution. Their code could reveal if the sent email copy found in "sent folder" could trigger a filter set in the "inbox".

True, but then we would have to travel to Moldova, wait until it gets dark, and break into Ritlabs' office to take a peak at their secret code. I think there might be an easier solution to satisfy our curiosity.. add this condition to your sound filter: "Sender | Does Not Contain | Manlio". With that, it should remain silent when a message of your own is returned! :-)

ps: Oh darn, David beat me to it again, and with a better solution to boot.
Edited: Daniel van Rooijen - 13 October 2018 15:17:04

But you added some much needed humor and gave me my first big smile of the day. And I have no idea if my suggestion works and hope Manlio gives feedback. I liked the visual image of sneaking into Moldova....   funny.

david
Edited: david kirk - 13 October 2018 18:13:40

Further investigation show to me that the weak point of "The Bat" are filters.
Definitely we users have no way to better understand the step of filtering action.
In case someone get a ticket to Moldova, I will join. :-)
Pages: 1