Pages: 1
RSS
Migrate to synology nas, Hundreds of folders,pop3, how to migrate

Currently I am using pop3 on one computer.
I am going to buy a synology nas and like to be able to use this to create access to my mail from different PCs.
Do I have to change over from pop3 to imap?
I have two accounts and many hundreds of folders and subfolders.
I read in this post that migrating to imap is complicated.
Has anyone successfully migrated to a synology nas going from pop3 to imap with out manually recreating all folders?

So, you're getting a NAS and you will, presumably, move The Bat's mail folder to a shared folder on that NAS (I think that would work fine, but don't run The Bat on multiple PC's at the same time!).

However, that doesn't have to change anything about how The Bat sends and receives mail to/from your provider's mail server. So, to answer your question:

Do I have to change over from pop3 to imap?

I don't think you have. Why did you think differently?
I volunteer as a moderator to help keep the forum tidy. I do not work for Ritlabs SRL.

but don't run The Bat on multiple PC's at the same time!
But this is what I want to be able to do
create access to my mail from different PCs
So this is why I was under the impression I had to change to imap if I want to be able to access the bat from two PCs
Sorry I don't get the quoting system

The Bat is not a multi-user program. When you use it simultaneously on multiple PC's, and they all use the same mail database and indexes and settings, chances are that your mail and settings will get corrupted quickly.

POP vs IMAP is a different issue. With IMAP, you can use multiple devices to send and receive mail to/from the mail server, and the mail server will keep them all synchronized. For example, with IMAP, you can make your smartphone and a tablet and a desktop PC all use the same e-mail account, and each device will see the same messages that the others do.
I volunteer as a moderator to help keep the forum tidy. I do not work for Ritlabs SRL.

Daniel van Rooijen wrote:
chances are that your mail and settings will get corrupted quickly.
Thank you for helping out by the way.
I see now that shared folders is not the way to go forward.
So if I do want to use the bat simultaneous there's no other way then IMAP.
Migrating hundreds of folders and subfolders manually is out of the question,
David dirk wrote
I suggest downloading Thunderbird, setting up the POP and IMAP accounts and then copying folders from there. Once done, just remove Thunderbird. That's the easiest way I can think of.
I might look into this suggestion.
Another possibility I just learnt, might be to use the synchronise function, although this is not ideal because if I understand it correctly mails witch are sent will not be synchronised.

This looks interesting. I know little about NAS, but I'm unsure of the gentleman's intent. Is it to allow multiple PCs to access mail simultaneously? That doesn't seem feasible. Is it to allow access to mail folders from different locations, such as home, office, portable, etc.? If you convert the mail to IMAP, that is an immediate feature, so what is the additional feature that you benefit from using NAS? Thanks.

david kirk wrote:
This looks interesting. I know little about NAS, but I'm unsure of the gentleman's intent. Is it to allow multiple PCs to access mail simultaneously? That doesn't seem feasible.
Yes, I thought this was the idea behind IMAP, being able to access your mail from different sources, simultaneously.

Situation now:
the Bat Is installed on a PC based in a location A.
I regularly are working with my laptop in location B
I'd like to be able to work on my mail in location B (And have both sides synchronised)
If you convert the mail to IMAP, that is an immediate feature, so what  is the additional feature that you benefit from using NAS? Thanks.
the point of a NAS being a centralised storage make me think there might be some sort of her solution to this problem not being able to access my mail from different sources.
Without having to copy manually many hundreds of folders and subfolders.

Thanks for info. I was confused because use of IMAP would eliminate the problem and would not be a prerequisite for NAS. I'm not familiar with NAS, but a possible solution might be using remote desktop software. Then you could leave PC A always on and access TB! remotely from the other PC. There are several free programs that do that and may be worth a try before you invest in NAS. However, both remote desktop and NAS may cause response time increases.  good luck. Also, converting to IMAP isn't complicated, it's just time consuming because TB! only allows one folder at a time, but it may prove advantageous in the long run, especially if you ever wanted to access mail from a phone.

david

david kirk wrote:
Thanks for info. I was confused because use of IMAP would eliminate the problem and would not be a prerequisite for NAS. I'm not familiar with NAS, but a possible solution might be using remote desktop software.
I don't think I'll go that route, not a long-term solution I think.
Also, converting to IMAP isn't complicated, it's just time consuming  because TB! only allows one folder at a time,
What was exactly the benefit of using Thunderbird to migrate to IMAP?
Btw, just did a foldercount; 1354 folders in 2 accounts.Not going to move these by hand!

The Thunderbird info was from a different thread. In general, when I look at a migration issue, I always check to see if there is a simple path through Thunderbird, as a number of conversion utilities support it. I don't think that applies here, but have you considered aid4mail at https://www.aid4mail.com/  ? Although I haven't used it, their ad indicates converstion from TB! to IMAP.  Good luck.

I have decided to leave things as they are for now.
Too much work and risks.
The 2 accounts have webmail apps so i'll use that if needed.
Thanks.
Pages: 1