Pages: 1
RSS
Installing after Windows install, How to retrieve previous emails

I had to reinstall Windows 7 after a hard drive crash. I have a backup of what was on the c drive so all of the emails are there, just not in a backup made from withing TB. I've seen other posts on this that said to install TB, create an account and then copy all of the files from the backup. But I have many accounts setup so it is not clear if I need to create all of those again or not. I'm really worried about losing emails so I want to do this right. Would someone please walk me through it?

I'm not sure of the exact version of TB I have but I think it is V7.xx

I think you can simply recover your Mail Directory (as defined in Options | Preferences | System) to get both your mail and your accounts back. There's also a bunch of settings that are saved in the registry (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\RIT mainly), but if you don't have a backup of those, they're probably lost.
I volunteer as a moderator to help keep the forum tidy. I do not work for Ritlabs SRL.

Thank you for the reply. I went ahead and did it per account since I was afraid of losing something and that seems to be the recommended way. I did lose all of my settings. I have a copy of the original registry but I wouldn't know how to pull that data out, if it is even possible. Settings are easy enough to tweak so I will leave well enough alone. :)

Good decision. It's true you can load hives from another PC into Regedit and export from there, but the exports need manual modifications prior to uploading. No fun. Going forward, you may be interested in a small utility I developed, available at https://davidkirk.org/thebat/ , that allows you to do backups of the registry settings. I support Daniel's suggestion about restoring an old mail folder. I don't rely on TB! backup, but I do periodically make backups of the mail directory as it contains everything. Anyway, I"m glad all is working again.

The recommended program may contain a virus or other malicious code. :!:

--------------------------

Trojan:Win32/Tiggre!plock

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wdsi/threats/malware-encyclopedia-description?Name=Trojan:Win32/Tiggre!plock&threatId=-2147243670

TB!RegExportUtility.exe

https://i.postimg.cc/MGkw9ZTP/Trojan-Win32-Tiggre-plock-thebatregistry-recovery-exe.jpg
Edited: Lajos Lovasz - 01 November 2019 13:51:26

I got an Error 0x80004005:  Unspecified Error when trying to extract to a folder.  Same result when trying to open the readme from within.  So next I tried WinRar and it told me it was PW protected.  

Lajos, Donal: Thanks for reporting, but it's most likely a false positive. David's Registry Export Utility is two years old and there were never any problems. Today, a small number of malware scanners (8 out of 40+ scanners on Virustotal.com) suddenly report it as infected, which suggests that a new detection string was added to them that, by chance, matches David's utility.
I volunteer as a moderator to help keep the forum tidy. I do not work for Ritlabs SRL.

Thanks for your support, Daniel. The file has been there for almost three years and I've received a number of 'thank you' emails from TB! users who found it helpful in recovering or backing up TB!. The code was created with a small open-source compiler and the number of hits on VirusTotal seems to change daily. I did a minor cosmetic update today (first update since February 2017) and had 11 out of 71 with warnings. But checked ok from the major companies (e.g., Kaspersky, Avast, Bitdefender, Symantec, AVG, McAfee, Microsoft, TrendMicro, Webroot, Malwarebyes and others), so I feel it's a safe product. And it's always had a password on it, as specified on the website. Actually, many people found the accompanying txt file the more useful. The update is at same place:  https://davidkirk.org/thebat/  If people have problems, they're welcome to contact me directly.    

david

Yes. If that batchfile compiler created viruses, it would have long been exposed as such (and been withdrawn, banned, or fixed).

False positives have become quite common. I know that many software developers upload their products to VirusTotal or Joti's Malware Scan before releasing them to avoid a bad surprise :)
Pages: 1