Pages: 1
RSS
Setting unified font type and size for all incoming messages

My incoming messages show in many different type of fonts. The size also varies.
I assume it is pre-determined by the sender who composed the message, however, I was thinking if there is a setting on my end in which I can determine the font type of size regardless of what the composer used.
On the same note, I noticed that once a message being replied by me and then replied back again by the original sender - The font type and size changes from how it showed in the first original message.

Regular, traditional e-mail is in plain, unformatted text. How it looks in TB (The Bat!) on your system depends on your settings under Options | Preferences | Viewer/Editor | Profile Layout.

However, what many people and companies send as email these days is called HTML mail, which uses HTML commands to format the text. TB can show it to you either as HTML, or as unformatted plain text. This depends on your settings in Options | Preferences | Viewer/Editor. My own preference for 'View HTML Messages Using' is 'Plain Text Version and HTML' which means that I see them as plain text first, but I can quickly switch the message display to HTML using a small tab that, when appropriate, appears underneath the message.

Note btw, that many HTML messages also come with a ready-made plain text version of the message. If so, TB will show that instead of a plain text version that it has made itself. Sometimes the plain text version only says something to the effect of 'Please view this message in a HTML-capable email client' or 'Open this message in your browser'. In that case you can switch to the HTML display to read the actual message.

You also have a choice as to how you want to reply to HTML messages: with HTML formatting, or as plain text. See 'Reply to HTML in plain text' under Options | Preferences | Viewer/Editor.
I volunteer as a moderator to help keep the forum tidy. I do not work for Ritlabs SRL.

One of my minor annoyances with TB! is that it, like MS Outlook, insists on sending font and font size in HTML. I understand the desire to emphasize text with italics or bold or making a specific phrase larger, but sending the composer's preferred font seems overkill. Thunderbird and Postbox allow HTML messages to be sent without adding those settings, letting the recipient be responsible for the displaying font and default size.

Like, Daniel, I also have default set to plain text primary for viewing, as a friend's desire to send in Balthazar font in pink in 8 pt size just isn't my thing.And I'll get off my soapbox here.

david
Edited: david kirk - 13 September 2019 16:41:33
Pages: 1