Pages: 1
RSS
storing mail folder on Dropbox?

I'm setting up a new laptop, but it's probably going to take at least a couple of weeks before I'm ready to move to it as my primary system. I'm thinking of how to move TB gradually, so that I can use either system while my installation is split.
Would it work to keep my mail folder on Dropbox? One downside is it would take quite a while to upload, as it's about 24GB. (Yeah ... I know.) I would have to be very careful to run TB on only one system at a time. The largest file is about 3GB, but Dropbox says that files can be updated in pieces, and of course a large mailbox is mostly static.
https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/sync-uploads/upload-entire-file
I would also use David Kirk's utility to move the registry data. If I updated options on one system, I'd probably have to update them manually on the other. That's minor for a temporary situation.
Thoughts?
Edward

In a similar situation, some years ago, I configured the accounts on my temporary computer to not delete any messages from the server, and I sent CC:'s of outgoing messages to myself. That way I'd still receive all messages on my old computer, and I could transfer the full mailbag to the new computer when I was ready to make that my main system (I use POP3 only).

If you have a Pro license, you could also use Voyager, which syncs your messagebase between your local HDD and a memory stick, which you could use on both computers.
I volunteer as a moderator to help keep the forum tidy. I do not work for Ritlabs SRL.

Interesting option, that of using Dropbox. I don't know Dropbox, but I have what may be a similar cloud account that lets me set it to appear as another drive on PC. If Dropbox has that feature, it seems a ready-made solution, allowing full access from both PCs. Move the full mail folder to Dropbox and then use that as your mail folder. Sounds very doable and would allow you to use both PCs immediately (but not concurrently).

If The Bat has to work with files that add up to 24GB, some of which it may have to read and write in full, possibly repeatedly during a session, then I would not even think about storing them remotely!  :o
I volunteer as a moderator to help keep the forum tidy. I do not work for Ritlabs SRL.

I share your thoughts, Daniel. I was captivated by the technical challenge, I guess. I cannot imagine a single email being 3G in size. My mail folders only keep messages I consider active. Others are archived or deleted. And I delete some messages daily. However, it depends on the download speed of Dropbox; it might work well if the majority of messages are of more normal size and I'm trusting that original poster has Dropbox expertise.  

Daniel van Rooijen wrote:
If The Bat has to work with files that add up to 24GB, some of which it may have to read and write in full, possibly repeatedly during a session, then I would not even think about storing them remotely!  
The Dropbox support link in my OP clearly states that Dropbox does NOT up/download entire files, only the changed parts. However, I have not tested this.

I had not considered Voyager ... that does sound like a real alternative.

Yeah, I know I should clean out my inbox and keep it that way. I have a separate archive folder, so I don't need the inbox as an archive. But I have a legacy of over 10K messages in my inbox (that's why it's 3GB) and I don't relish the cleanup task. Someday I will bite the bullet and just delete everything I haven't marked urgent, but I have other bullets I need to bite first.

Edward

Edward Reid wrote:
The Dropbox support link in my OP clearly states that Dropbox does NOT up/download entire files, only the changed parts.

That only applies to situations in which you have both a local copy of a file and a remote copy on Dropbox, and Dropbox keeps them synchronized. That's very different from storing your messagebase (only) on Dropbox, in which case The Bat may need to read and/or write the entire remote file for some operations. If you decide to proceed, please let us know how it goes - I'm quite curious.
Pages: 1