Pages: 1
RSS
Some questions about The Bat! mail client with screenreading software

hello,
I am a new user of The Bat! mail client. I have downloaded the trial version and I love it so far, but I have some problems that are related to the fact that I am blind and I need to use the screenreader to access information displayed on-screen.
1. Can I use the HTML viewer even for plain text messages? I see The Bat! uses the Chromium engine to render HTML messages. This is very, very good as my screenreading software has an exceptional support for the CHromium engine. For the plain text messages, a Plain Text viewer is used which is much slower for my screenreader to read.
2. How to change the order of the message columns on the lisr? My screenreader reads the information from left to right, and so "subject" somewhere in the middle really bothers me.
If I solve these two problems you definitely have one more customer because otherwise the software is great. Only Becky! Internet mail can compete with you guys.

2. How to change the order of the message columns on the lisr? My screenreader reads the information from left to right, and so "subject" somewhere in the middle really bothers me.
https://content.screencast.com/users/george2534/folders/Snagit/media/ae64f893-087d-4b1c-ab18-f892d08a4d94/01.02.2021-12.39.png
Модератор. Не являюсь сотрудником RitLabs (I'm not an employee of Ritlabs). https://belrus.biz/vendors/ritlabs.html

Please be aware in the future: don't do threads with few questions. This is not your own blog. Do one question for one topic!

For the plain text messages, a Plain Text viewer is used which is much slower for my screenreader to read.
Ask you screenreader creators why they can't read normally simple text from TB! window.
AFAIK, you can't apply HTML reader to text messages in the settings of TB!.
Модератор. Не являюсь сотрудником RitLabs (I'm not an employee of Ritlabs). https://belrus.biz/vendors/ritlabs.html

I asked few questions to make less spam in the forum. I have tried reading your image and from what my OCR says it's the "setup columns" window from the view menu. I have set the order there but the program seems not to save the order up on exit./

>> I asked few questions to make less spam in the forum.
You make more spam when ask many questions in one thread. Do only one.

>>  I have tried reading your image and from what my OCR says it's the "setup columns" window from the view menu.
Please pardon me. Are you blind? You can't change column order without eyes, please ask you friend with vision to do this.
I don't think so that TB! is ready for such tasks.

First, try setting the plain text viewer to HTML as you requested. From a simple test I did, it appears to work. I don't know of your reader will pick it up, but worth a try.

Second, I wonder if your reader is not easily recognizing the OK at bottom of screen for column change. My guess is you are changing the order and then clicking the 'x' in upper right of screen to close it. That does not cause the change to occur. Click the OK in middle bottom of that screen and it should work. Good luck.
david

My question then is how to request this viewer for every message? By the way, thank you MR David for your awesome Becky! guide.

Thank you for your kind words. Yes, I do that as a hobby for the author. On your question, once you set the viewer, it applies to all messages. If setting to HTML view for plain text helps you with your viewer, please confirm here, as that would be good for the forum to know in case another person with vision problems seeks advice. Goood luck.

david

Nope, no dice. It seems to use a different viewer than the Chromium renderer. I'm temptedt o buy the software to get support from the devs but what if they cannot or don't want to help?

Your main goal, as I understand it, is to be able to use email, whether with TB! or other client. You have a special need and TB! may not be your solution, although it is quite flexible. Have you looked at other email clients that may work better for your needs, such as Thunderbird, Postbox, or Becky!? You might try Outlook, as Microsoft has deeper pockets than most. Or there are a number of web clients, such as webanywhere. Unfortunately, you may find no answers on this forum.  Good luck in your pursuits. If you still use Becky, you might try their forum.

david

>>  TB! may not be your solution
TB! isn't good solution for the people with vision problems. Interface is an evil for them too. Here needs to check some anothert and special software for this tasks.

Actually, The Bat's developers are aware of the needs of users of screen readers and braille terminals, and have kept them in mind when developing the program.

Arkadiusz, you do not have to buy a license just to submit a suggestion to the developers. You should be able to use the Support option in the menu above to contact them. When you explain that your screen reader works much better with Chromium, they may be happy to add the option that you favor. If it doesn't work out, please let me know and I'll contact them for you.
I volunteer as a moderator to help keep the forum tidy. I do not work for Ritlabs SRL.

Hi!
I have contacted the developers. I already started creating srcipts for the JAWS screenreader, but its not the program I use daily, but I can prototype some functionality to then suggest to Ritlabs.
I'm not giving up on this software so easily, as it combines power of MS Outlook with the response speed of Becky.
Pages: 1