Pages: 1
RSS
Can't maintain prescribed email numbers (count) in any folder, maintenence centre will not comply

Despite me setting Folder Properties"Additional" values for number of emails to retain;  length of time one can be in a folder ... and delete/purge after exit ......

I STILL see  Common Folder numbers in the several hundreds.

Annoying AND my ISP sent me a memo again about mailbox being 90% full

I'm not sure if I understand your complaint correctly, but apparently you have a common folder that holds more messages than you think it should have, based on the retention settings in its properties.

Also, your ISP informed you that your mailbox is almost full.

Those facts are unrelated. Common folders are not tied to any specific email account at an ISP.

You should also have a regular account in the account tree for that ISP. If you don't want mail to pile up on your ISP's mail server then the solution depends on what type of account that is, POP3 or IMAP. For a POP3 account, you have to specify in Account Properties | Mail Management that messages must be deleted from the mail server once they have been retrieved (I believe this is the default). With IMAP accounts, you basically work with messages that are stored on the provider's server. When you delete them, they are deleted from the server. If you don't want to lose them, you either need more storage space (ask your provider) or you can copy those messages to a local folder that stores them locally on your harddrive (as an archive), and then delete the originals from the server.

As for the too large common folder.. I haven't seen that reported before. Which version of TB are you using and how does that folder get its messages - are they copied or moved there automatically by filters or plugins or do you do so manually? When you delete messages manually and you exit and re-launch TB, are those deleted messages gone?
I volunteer as a moderator to help keep the forum tidy. I do not work for Ritlabs SRL.

TB ver 9.4.31 64 bit Pro

I would have posted a folder properties screenshot here but saw no way to do it.

The accounts are all  IMAP

Incoming email is MOVED from the account folder TO common folders via Filters.
Thus any account's "Inbox" shows no read nor unread emails at all times.

Then, as an example of the problem:

A particular Common Folder has 229 unread messages.
If I'm not keeping up with the email, for whatever reason, then I want the folder properties/Additional :

to Set-maximum number-of-stored-messages to 200

to set Keep-Messages-in-the-base-for 10-days

to On-Exit Remove-old-messages

Yet for every folder that I designate such action, none are acted upon by The Bat!

When I used Thunderbird on these same IMAP accounts, I was able to maintain a reasonable semblance of order/size in this fashion. Thunderbird however has many many undesirable traits. Thus I greatly prefer to use The Bat! and will continue doing so.

So it looks like there are two separate problems:

1) When you use The Bat's filters to move incoming messages out of an IMAP account's inbox (for instance to a common folder). then they should be automatically removed from the mailserver, but they're not.

2) You have set up maintenance criteria for the common folders in terms of how many messages they may hold and how old messages may get, but The Bat doesn't clean them up when you exit the program or when you run the maintenace center.

Unfortunately I do not use IMAP myself so I can't try to reproduce the first problem. Likewise, I have no suggestions on what may be causing the second problem.. if no other users come up with possible explanations, it may be best for you to report these issues to Ritlabs using the Support menu above.

Is there anything special about these common folders -- are they located on your local harddisk or do you have a more complicated setup that involves a network or cloud folder? Do you run The Bat from a regular user account on that PC or as Admin?
I volunteer as a moderator to help keep the forum tidy. I do not work for Ritlabs SRL.

Daniel van Rooijen wrote:

1) When you use The Bat's filters to move incoming messages out of an IMAP account's inbox (for instance to a common folder). then they should be automatically removed from the mailserver, but they're not.

%%% that is true

2) You have set up maintenance criteria for the common folders in terms of how many messages they may hold and how old messages may get, but The Bat doesn't clean them up when you exit the program or when you run the maintenace center.

%%% That too is correct

Is there anything special about these common folders -- are they located on your local harddisk or do you have a more complicated setup that involves a network or cloud folder? Do you run The Bat from a regular user account on that PC or as Admin?

some comments by me are above and prefaced with %%%

Nothing special.
All on my local hard drive; at home; no network

There are currently 4059 emails in that account residing in the inbox, ON the email server ....

I was looking at those messages on the server.
they are grayed out ;;;which, IIRC, means marked-for-deletion .
So I confirmed that in the web-mail-online location.
Once I made the changes to cause Delete permanently if deleted, the Inbox returned to a current Zero.
That "problem" is now solved.

Back in The Bat! However, and after a re-start of The Bat!, there are still Common Folders containing at least 200 emails more than the Folder Settings call for.

This then is the remaining and large, problem.

I notice that when I run the Maintenance Center that 111 Folders are checked; it seems that "no problems detected" is the result for all.
Yet at the bottom of that window, on the right side, "Stop" has the focus, as waiting for itself to finish. Or is it waiting for me to Stop MC?
In any event, the excessive folder email count remains the same everywhere.
Edited: rob d - 22 August 2021 18:44:04 (added a Mainteance Centre note)

About the semi-deleted messages remaining on the server: have you checked the settings of your accounts (probably under Account Properties | Mail Management) to see if there's a choice of deletion settings? I know that to be the case with POP3 accounts but I don't know about IMAP. Maybe there's a more 'definitive' method that does fully delete them from the server.

As for the maintenance center, have you tried to use it on just one folder somewhere in the middle or towards the end of the list of folders (so, not the first folder or the first one that may be causing problems) ? How you describe it sounds like the process may be getting stuck somewhere, not completing the operation.

I think I fixed the retention on the Imap server.

As for the Bat refusing to honor Folder-Settings, still a major problem.

And, now, when I close the program, there is a remnant "The Bat!" executable. This therefore (A) has no GUI and (B) prevents TB from starting as it believes it is already started.

This malfunction started after I did some settings to purge/empty/compact.

Now, I seriously thought I'd found all those settings. But I clearly haven't nullified all because I still can't start TB! until I use process manager and Kill the remnant miscreant.

The "Ticket" I'd submitted stalled after 6 replies in  the thread.
Pages: 1