Pages: 1
RSS
Deleting messages - 3 different behaviors

I am trying the Bat with an IMAP email server, and I am confused by the program's behavior when I try to delete a message from the pane that lists the emails. I sel ect the email to delete, click the trash-can icon, and one of 3 things will happen:
  1. The email is deleted and disappears from the pane.
  2. The email gets a strike-through but remains in the pane.
  3. Nothing happens. The email seems to be impossible to delete.
This behavior baffles me. Is there any explanation for it? I can't see why any a given email has one behavior or the other.

Willard Korfhage wrote:
 The email is deleted and disappears from the pane.
 The email gets a strike-through but remains in the pane.
 Nothing happens. The email seems to be impossible to delete.

The first is regular behavior. The second (strikethrough) may be when you have activated 'browse deleted messages' mode (Folder | Browse Deleted Messages). For the third, you could try clearing the IMAP cache of that particular folder (Folder properties, 'clear cache now').

I don't use IMAP myself, it could be that IMAP folders show strikethrough deleted messages in other circumstances than I mentioned. The Bat supports different deletion scenarios, and the server and synchronisation could be of influence too. You can select your prefered deletion methods in the properties of your account and/or folders.
I volunteer as a moderator to help keep the forum tidy. I do not work for Ritlabs SRL.

Thanks. The first behavior is what I expected. After turning Browse Deleted Message on and then off, I'm not seeing the strike-through emails, so that might have cleared some program state. I also haven't come across problematic undeletable emails since then.

I don't have/use IMAP, I've never dabbled with Browse Deleted Messages (I wasn't aware or its existence until reading this thread) and I too occasionally get the strike through when trying to delete messages.

Sometimes but very occasionally, when deleting messages, the message deletes but the mail ticker still shows the existence of the message.  Clicking the mail ticker does nothing and the only way to remove the ticker is to close down TB.

If those struck-through lines return, please try to remember what you were doing just before that. If the problem can be reproduced, there's a good chance that it can be fixed.
I volunteer as a moderator to help keep the forum tidy. I do not work for Ritlabs SRL.
Pages: 1