Pages: 1
RSS
Lost all folders after install, all folders missing TB files

I had a minor problem with TB 10.0.10 and placed a support ticket. I was told to uninstall it and to delete the app data and then re-install. They said my email accounts would not be lost but that was not the case. All of the accounts are still present on disk but are not visible in TB. I had one account backed up to a different location and it shows up after copying it. But it has the MESSAGES.TBB
and MESSAGES.TBN files. I have backups of all of the others but those files are not present, either on disk or in the backup. I tried the alt-shift-ctrl-L method but it didn't do anything.

I responded to the ticket with the details but they are very slow to respond so it may be days before I hear from them. I'm hoping someone here has a suggestion on how to fix this?

When you go to Options | Preferences | System, the 'Mail folder' setting tells you where The Bat is looking for your mail.

If you still have a backup of that folder and its contents, you can close The Bat, restore the backup, and re-launch The Bat to see if all your accounts, their subfolders (Inbox, Sent, Trash, etc) and their messages have been restored.

(note: any new data that is overwritten by the restored backup would of course be lost. Alternatively you could set up a new mail folder and restore the old mail there instead)

(Note:  A healthy mail folder has a subfolder for each of your accounts. Additionally it has files with names like GROUPS.CFG, tbuser.DEF, CONFIG.CDB, COLORS.INI and a bunch more.

Each subfolder (that holds an account) has subfolders with names like Inbox, Outbox, Sent and Trash. Additionally it holds files like ACCOUNT.M_D, Account.CFN, ACCOUNT.FLB, ACCOUNT.HIS, ACCOUNT.CFG and a bunch more.

Each sub-subfolder, like Inbox and Trash, holds the files MESSAGES.TBB and MESSAGES.TBN. These are your actual mail database for that folder and its index. )
I volunteer as a moderator to help keep the forum tidy. I do not work for Ritlabs SRL.

!!  p.s. by Backup I meant a backup made from outside The Bat, for instance made by a dedicated backup program or using Winzip, et cetera.  The Bat also has a built-in backup function with which I am not familiar, and restoring from it will work very much differently from what I described.
I volunteer as a moderator to help keep the forum tidy. I do not work for Ritlabs SRL.

Thank you for the quick reply and the suggestion. The path is set to %APPDATA%\The Bat!\ and if I go to that location it has all of my folders. The problem is that they are not showing up in TB. I tried creating a new account and setting its path to one of the existing account folders and the result says there were about 400 folders and about 2,200 emails found. The folders show up, at least some of them but they are in a different order so it is hard to say. But each folder is empty - no emails. I tried the keyboard shortcut and the Maintenance Center but nothing was recovered.  In the MC it shows there is an undefined error in the inbox folder. This is a little better than where it was so I appreciate your help. :)

First, please be sure that you have a backup of your current mail folder and its full contents (just copy them to a USB stick, for instance).

When you tried Ctrl-Alt-Shift-L, did the account tree panel have the focus? (i.e. you clicked somewhere in the panel before doing the key combination) It won't work otherwise.

Do you have a full backup of the old %APPDATA%\The Bat!\ folder? If so, maybe you can restore it to a different folder and then point The Bat to it in Options | Preferences | System | Mail Folder.

If that is no option, you could try to create new accounts in The Bat that have exactly the same name as the folders in the Mail Folder. When you restart The Bat after that, the messages from those accounts may show up again.

Thank you so much for your help. I have the folders back now. I had already tried creating a folder with the same name but I didn't think about changing its path. Once that was done everything showed up. Still haven't heard from Support. :(

Who needs support when you have us? :-b

Glad to hear things are working well again.
Pages: 1