Pages: 1
RSS
Customising column headers

Hi

I suspect the answer to this is "it can't be done", but I'll ask the question anyway!

All my mail is served by a shared hosting server.  This runs Linux and SpamAssassin, which I use to spam filter my mail.

SpamAssassin (when it's working properly) writes several headers to the email when its processed the mail (e.g. X-Spam-Level).  However, I have reasonably frequent outages on SpamAssassin, so I'd like to be able to view my mail separated between mail that has been processed by SpamAssassin and mail that has not.  My preferred way of doing this would be to add one of the SA fields to the column headers in my standard inbox view.  This way I could easily review whether SpamAssassin is working or not, and also sort my mail by the levels that SA is applying (when it is working).

I've identified how to add a custom header field to my mail, but I can't select the custom header field to add to the view.  I also can't amend a preexisting field (e.g. Priority, or one other that I don't use) to read the header that I want it to read.

Is there a way to do this?  I appreciate I could easily set a filter in the sorting office to dump any non-scanned mails into a new folder, but I'd like to see something in the view.  

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Matt

In order to view a message header it has to be defined, so you've got to define the header in TB. That can be done easily.
Options -> Preferences -> Message Headers -> Add
Use these options:
Display this header as: Whatever you like, it doesn't really matter
RFC Name: Exactly the same as ou defined in Spam Assassin
This field is an address list: No, after all it isn't.
Allow to edit ths field: No. You only want to see it, don't you?
Display this field on the scrollable part: No. No is my preference, I don't like a scroll bar next to the shown headers.

After you've defined it, you can select it as visible header. Another advantage of the header being defined is that you can select it in the header field copndition in the sorting office.

Roelof

Thanks for the quick reply.  Unfortunately, that doesn't achieve what I want to do.

What I am after is for my new header field (say called Spam) to appear in the selectable list "View", "Message List Columns".

Or am I missing something?

Cheers!

Matt

I Think you are referring to the addition to the subject line
You can go into spam assassin and have it use whatever you wish -I believe the default is "[SPAM]"

You can then make a folder for spam and a filter to move anything with [SPAM] in the subject to the folder

No, its not the the subject line that's my problem!

When SpamAssassin fails on the server, it doesn't rewrite the subject line nor does it add X-Spam... headers to the mail header.  I can obviously see if no ***SPAM*** prefix has been added to the mail (but my server deletes those before I receive them anyway), but if SpamAssassin is not running properly then I can't instantly see whether I've got a problem or not.

Having any one of the SpamAssassin headers viewable in the normal column layout would at least allow me to instantly see if the daemon on the server was running properly, and if not I can take corrective action!

Thanks!

Matt

You can't add anything to the view message list columns menu.

What you could do is to create a virtual folder with advanced filter settings that checks for your added header and whether the message is not read.
Now you only need one look into your account tree pane to see wheter the daemon is running.

Thanks.

As I thought.  Would anyone else be supportive of this as a feature (i.e. add a custom header field, and then have it selectable in the message list columns?)

I'll work around my problem in a different way!

Matt

To be quite honest, I don't care. But then again, TB has lots of features that I started to use years after they got implemented, so I might be grateful for you for pushing for it. ;-)

Hi Matt
Yes Yes Yes

Would anyone else be supportive of this as a feature (i.e. add a custom header field, and then have it selectable in the message list columns?)
I also would appreciate this feature. I have been trying to find it in the bat for hours presuming that it would be there. Similarly I too would use it for spam headers especially while I am training the spam filter.

Cheers
Pages: 1