Pages: 1
RSS
Local folders & IMAP

This question has been asked several times before, but no one ever responded. Figured I'd try again.

Is it possible to use TB, locally, the same way we used to with POP3, but with IMAP being used to retrieve messages? Let me elaborate. Some of us have to use IMAP to download email. In my case, it's all I have available. Using POP3 is something that's reserved for members with a higher level of membership (paid email service).

I do not use online folders or anything of that nature. I download my mail, and then have it automatically filtered into various folders. Newer versions of TB, as far as I can tell, don't allow this as they once did. If you choose IMAP for the account, it makes a lot of assumptions of how we do things. It won't let me create local folders, for one thing. I'm still using 1.62, because it's the last version I could use that actually worked. I would like to start using the newer versions, but can't until I solve this problem. IMAP may be the protocal for getting the mail, but that's it. Everything else is the same as when it was POP3.

Side note: I did try to use TB 3, just to see if I could use it the way it's wanting me to, but that didn't work. All I could get was a list of my mail. Nothing would actually download, no matter what I did. Fresh install, no plugins (unless they came by default), no reason I can think of for the errors, but nothing works.

You are experiencing the downside of the pressure that RITlabs have been under to make IMAP work "properly". The Bat! was often criticised for the "poor" IMAP support it had and that it was no more than a glorified POP3.

Now, from version 2 onwards, and even more into the version 3 series, RITlabs have become a real contender in the IMAP support field and continue to improve.

All of which leaves people like yourself high-and-dry, where IMAP-as-POP3 is an actual requirement.

Here's a thought ... perhaps can you use TB's filter system to filter IMAP account inbox messages to a secondary local POP3 style account's folders, which would then make them purely local. I don't know if that would work. It's worth a try though.
iviarck

The irony is that it *didn't* work properly, even when I gave up and tried to do it the way it now wants things to be done. Messages would not download, for one thing. I got some headers, but the actual messages would never come. Tried everything. Opening the message just gave a blank body. "Synchronizing" didn't do it, either. I checked every setting, clicked every button, etc. And then, when I tried to create folders, it rejected them. My provider is fully IMAP capable, but trying to create folders somehow runs into a permissions problem, even though the account data (user/pass) is correct. Making folders online and then trying to let TB "see" them to mirror locally was also a bust. Seriously, I've loved and used TB for years, but ever since version 2 I've begun to dislike it, and version 3 only reminds me of where Microsoft and Norton, and so many other companies, ultimately end up with their software: bloated and unmanagable, because they try to do too much. The Bat is an email client! I don't want it to do my laundry, I just want it to download, present, and send email. Ludicrously simply things like we've discussed above should never have been allowed to become problems in the first place, and the moment such things were realized to be present, it should have been obvious, in my opinion, that'd they overextended themselves and needed to retrace a few steps to reclaim what they once were; the best email client on the market. Despite our devotion to the program, can we honestly still make that claim with a clear conscience?
Pages: 1