Pages: 1
RSS
Problem with Scheduled Automatic Backup

I have automated backups scheduled to take place every day.

If I am writing an e-mail or navigating through the client, I get frozen out when the automatic backup begins and I cannot continue until the backup is completed unless I cancel the backup.

Just now, I was saving an attachment and I was frozen at the Save file as dialogue, waiting until the backup completed.

Please can you fix it so that the backups take place in the background?
Windows 7 Professional SP1 • The Bat 5.0.16

Hello,

Sorry for reviving this very old topic, but I was just wondering if someone has a workaround for this behavior ? I've been waiting for a fix about this for ages (just like Anthony), and I'm still annoyed when the backup takes place!

How do you do daily backups without being paralyzed during the backup ?

Thank you.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Windows 7 Professional SP1(64 bits) • The Bat 6.6 (32 bits)

That is the way it is with the backup system. I cope with it by switching to another program (and task) when the backup interrupt my work.
Though it is a nuisance to get TB frozen, it's not that uncommon to get locked out during backups. Suppose you're moving messages from a folder that hasn't been bakupped yet to one that has been backupped. Your backup wouldn't be complete and/or the process would be complaining about errors.

When it's really bothering you, you should run the backup manually, when you're ot for lunch break or something like  that. Or schedule it at a time that isn't inconvenient.

Thanks for your reply Roelof,

Although I agree with you for the fact that when a backup occurs nothing should be touched to keep constituency intact, nowadays with newer technologies it's possible to do backups while data is in use , I'm sure you know about VSS :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_Copy

Ritlabs could implement VSS for the backup, but I think I'm asking for too much :)
Pages: 1