Pages: 1
RSS
Help With Filtering and Subfilters, Trying to work out how to optimize subfiltering

Hi,

I'm trying to create a subfiltering system, I receive lots of emails from Google groups I'm subscribed to, and I use filters to move each new incoming mail to a dedicated folder for that particular Group.

What I wanted to do is create a main filter that catches any email coming from Google Groups (ie, "Sender" ends with "@googlegroups.com"), and then I'd like to subfilter matching emails by further filters that deal with the actual groups (eg, "cooking@googlegroups.com", etc.).

The idea is to optimize filters executions so that all the Google Groups subfilters are exectured ONLY if the main filter matches. I've tried creating "subfilters", but I noticed that if I disable the root filter its children subfilters are still executed.

Are SUBFILTERs just for visual organizing filters? I.e. their hierarchy does not affect filters execution but it's only for grouping filters in an orderfy manner in the GUI?

How can obtain the optimization described above? I'm starting to have too many filters and I'd like subfilters to be executed only when a root criteria is met, which should improve filters execution time, and also allow me finer control over their actual execution.

I haven't found anything about subfilters in the documentation.

Another problem I've encountered regard priority of filters execution: I have some common filters as well as some filter for specific accounts, but I've noticed that common filters that also include a given account are executed BEFORE the filters for that account, which creates some problems as these are more generic filters than the account specific ones.

Is there any way to manually control the priority of execution of filters beside their order of appearance in the filters tree? I.e. if filters could have some weights that affect their order of execution regardless of whether they are "common filters" or account specific it would allow finer control.

Is there a way to know the exact order in which filters will be executed?

Thanks

Tristano Ajmone wrote:
The idea is to optimize filters executions so that all the Google Groups subfilters are exectured ONLY if the main filter matches. I've tried creating "subfilters", but I noticed that if I disable the root filter its children subfilters are still executed.

Are SUBFILTERs just for visual organizing filters? I.e. their hierarchy does not affect filters execution but it's only for grouping filters in an orderfy manner in the GUI?

The way I understand it, a message will only be filtered once, except if 1) the filter has subfilters - in that case its subfilters will see and filter the message too; or 2) the filter's "Continue processing with other filters" option is active.

In general, as you've noticed, common filters are executed first, in the order that they are listed in the Sorting Office. Then the regular (account-based) filters are executed, again in the order that they are listed.

If you can't achieve the desired filtering logic by organizing the filters, maybe you can make your subfilters explicitly folder-specific by using the name of the folder as a filter criterium ("Source Folder" | "Is one of" | <list of applicable folders>).
I volunteer as a moderator to help keep the forum tidy. I do not work for Ritlabs SRL.
Pages: 1