Pages: 1
RSS
The Bat! does not save my filters!, Filters are lost more than once

Hi,

recently (I use the latest version of TheBat!) all of my filters had gone missing! All of a sudden and without any warnings. I hag a lot of them, accumulated through the years........

I tried an option to "restore filters", and got my filters back under "orphan filters". They would not work (I did "re-filter after editing" and got nothing), and once I close the sorting office and open it again, they would be gone.

I found that I could press Ctrl+X at an orphan filter, go to "Incoming mail" and press Ctrl+V. This seemed to put the filter back. Even though, at Ctrl+X I got an "Access violation" errors (see screenshot).

But, regardless of whether the filters were in orphan folder, or whether I put them all back, they would be gone if I close and reopen the sorting office.

One of these days, I found time, spent a few hours, and manually recreated every single one of the filters I needed.

It worked for a few days. Today, the filters are gone again. The same story about orphan filters happened a few times. Eventually, sorting office started saying that there are no orphan filters at all.

I can spend another few hours and recreate the filters, manually, the second time. But, what it they will be gone again?

Please help!
Edited: Anna Malanushenko - 26 December 2022 06:07:32 ((added link to screenshot))

So, the main problem isn't the "access violation" when trying to move an orphan filter.
The main problem is that the entire set of filters had disappeared, I recreated it manually, and a few days later it disappeared again.
Please help!
Thank you!  

Stop your works without backup. Use it something like Acronis CyberBackup and increment backup every week to some external HDD.
Even internal TheBat backup bettter than nothing. Are you don't have anyone?

Did you try to reinstall TB? Are you do update to the last version? (10.3.3 at this moment of time).

На русском не проще будет общаться?  
Модератор. Не являюсь сотрудником RitLabs (I'm not an employee of Ritlabs). https://belrus.biz/vendors/ritlabs.html

Anna, I have no solution but as you have found, you can copy and paste filter definitions. They are in regular text format, so you can also paste them into a text document (or in a message to yourself) and save that as a backup in case it happens again.

I'd recommend that you report the problem directly to Ritlabs' technical staff (using the Support menu at the top of this page). Hopefully they will have better suggestions.
I volunteer as a moderator to help keep the forum tidy. I do not work for Ritlabs SRL.

Daniel -- the plain text file with filters is intriguing. How do you get to it from the sorting office/filters? I checked various "export" options and didn't see it. Also I looked in the account folder and could not find anything like a plain text format file with filters. Could you please explain how you get plain text format filter definitions? Thanks!  

George -- на русском проще, хотя тут есть и англоговорящие. :) Бэкапы у меня плохо работают. В смысле, никогда не работали. (Я пользуюсь Бэтом с самых первых его версий. :) Это ж сколько лет! Вот как только бэкапы появились, так они и не работали.) То есть, бэкап стартует, и вииииииииснет! В настройках по умолчанию есть делать бэкап каждые 10 дней. Так что если забываю снять галочку после установки на новый комп -- раз в 10 дней приходится жать кнопку "отменить". Спасибо за ответ!  

Anna Malanushenko wrote:
Daniel -- the plain text file with filters is intriguing. How do you get to it fr om the sorting office/filters? I checked various "export" options and didn't see it. Also I looked in the account folder and could not find anything like a plain text format file with filters. Could you please explain how you get plain text format filter definitions? Thanks!  

I'm not sure how to get plain text versions of filters either, but they seem to be all stored in the file ACCOUNT.SRB located in the root folder of your account (messages are stored in subfolders "Inbox" of that folder, etc.). Try backing up the file and restoring it if the problem occurs again.

Myself, I regularly backup the whole folder tree wh ere TB stores data, this surely includes all filters. Crude, but works for me.

Форумчане переведут, кому надо))

Поэтому и посоветовал Акронис CyberBackup купить. Это др. бэкап и он инкременты (добавляет только то, что добавилось) делает - много места не потеряете. Это на будущее. Не пожалеете, денег своих стоит. Только делайте на отдельный винчестер и/ил сетевой диск какой.

За десятки лет юзания мышонка все равно раз-раз и теряешь что-то при его слёте. Сейчас такое редко встречается, а вот на 6-7-й версии и адресные книги умирали и фильтры и теги, и шаблоны, и т.д. Благо, что Акронис работал еженедельно и максимум что потеряете - только неделю настроек.

За текущую проблему не подскажу, попробуйте техподдержке вопрос задать.

А бэкап встроенный в мышонка неудобен - работать невозможно пока он работает. Юзаю его несколько раз в год, как паранойя накроет.
Модератор. Не являюсь сотрудником RitLabs (I'm not an employee of Ritlabs). https://belrus.biz/vendors/ritlabs.html

Miloš Radovanović wrote:
I'm not sure how to get plain text versions of filters either, but they seem to be all stored in the file ACCOUNT.SRB located in the root folder of your account

Now that I think of it, maybe some antivirus software quarantines or deletes the file. Or it gets corrupted some other way...

Anna: Go to the Sorting Office, right-click on a filter definition and choose Copy (to copy that filter to the clipboard) or Copy Tree (to copy the whole tree of filters to the clipboard).  Then open a text editor or word processor and paste it.
I volunteer as a moderator to help keep the forum tidy. I do not work for Ritlabs SRL.
Pages: 1