Pages: 1
RSS
Sorting old messages

How can I sort old messages and move them to certain folder?
P.s. Bat v 2.10

Thanks for your help

Depending on whether it's the received or the created date you'd like to sort them, just click on the matching column header and the message list will be sorted thus. When you click another time on the same column header you''ll see that the sorting order is reversed.

Now you've sorted them as you like. Presume you've got the newest on top. (That's my favourite order) Select the newest message you'd like to move.Press shift+end
Now you've got all messages you'd like to move selected
Press Ctrl+V and you'll be prompted for a folder to move all selected message to.

I've done this with thousands of messages in one move, so it should go without any troubles.

Especially when you're doing this with large volumes of messages, it would save space when you compress the folder you've moved them from. (Folder -> Compress) As moved and deleted messages are not really deleted from the message base, but are only marked as deleted, it's the compressing that really deletes them.
(That's why it's a good idea to cvompress all folders on exit, this is an automatic setting in the account properties.)

Probably you didnt understod me. I need, or I want to create filter wich will move, lets say two months old messages, to my chosen folder. So how to do this in automated way, I dont want to move them each day manualy. Any ideas?

You can't do this automatically, you can purge them automatically, but moving to another folder is something else. Maybe with some third party tool, but I wouldn't know one.

Probably you didnt understod me. I need, or I want to create filter wich will move, lets say two months old messages, to my chosen folder. So how to do this in automated way,
You can create a filter doing that, and set a keyboard shortcut to execute it. So, you'll only have to run the filter manually each day, by pressing 2 keys. It's not automated, but is faster and better than having to select manually the messages :D.

...Sorry my English... :oops:

P.S.: this forum is for The Bat 3.x filtering system, not The Bat 2.x :D

There is a way to do this automatically. It requires version 3.

In folder properties, you can specify that messages more than 60 days old should be purged. There is a "Deletion" tab in the same folder properties. In there, you can define "Alternate deletion" characteristics for the folder.

You can tell TB to move messages to a specific folder for alternate delete operations. You can also enable alternate delete for purge operations. Set the folder to purge and compress on exit and that's it. Job done. All purged messages (older than 60 days) will be moved to the archive folder during a purge operation.
iviarck
Pages: 1