Pages: 1
RSS
Filtering for multiple accounts

I'm new to TB and trying to understand the filtering process. I have the following situation:

We have an entire domain. When we download POP3 mail everything new for that domain is delivered.

We have several TB accounts set up for individual local names within that domain. That means that the 'Download' command may be issued while any one of the accounts has the focus. I want to prevent _all_the mail (i.e. for all the accounts) being delivered into that one account's inbox.

What I am attempting with filters is this:

I have set up a series of Common Filters, each being triggered by the Recipient. Each of these filters directs that message to the Inbox for that account (with another filter handlning <> DSNs).

Now my question: If I now set up a series of account-specific filters filtering the Inbound Mail for each specific account, will the mail I redirected from the  Common Filter into that account's Inbox first be passed through that account's Incoming Mail filters, or will it have bypassed them?

TIA

Chris Haynes

I understand your question as this:
Will mail,downloaded by account1 and filtered into the Inbox of account2, be triggering filters belonging to account2.
The answer is: No! Messages downloaded by account1 will only trigger common filters or filters belonging to account1.

Ah thanks.

So every incoming message, regardless of the account which triggered the download, gets first passed through the common filters. Correct?

Each of my account-holders wants some of the inbound messages routed direct to a message-related folder, not into her general in box.

So I think this would do what I want:

1) In Common filters I have one top-level filter for each account - selecting on the recipient address (corresponding to that account)

2) Within each of these accout-specific, common filters I include, as sub-filters of the account filter, all the filters needed to route the messages to the desired folders within the account.

I don't then have / need any filters in the account-specific section; all filters are Common.

Does that sound right?

Looks like I need to cut-and-paste my filters!

So every incoming message, regardless of the account which triggered the download, gets first passed through the common filters. Correct?
Yes, provided that you share your common filters with all accounts.

2) Within each of these accout-specific, common filters I include, as sub-filters of the account filter, all the filters needed to route the messages to the desired folders within the account.
I'm not for sure that that will work flawlessly. There used to be issues with common sub-filters, but as I'm using a one account setup I'm not current with the actual stautus of that subject.

Other possibilities would be to use a selective download filter for all of your accounts, so that they would only download messages addressed to their own address.
Or you create one catch all account that receives all mail and directs it into different folders, depending on the addressee, you can set the identity of each folder to match that address. That's actually more or less how my setup is running.

Yes, provided that you share your common filters with all accounts.

Ahah! That's why I could not get this to work. Thank you.

Or you create one catch all account that receives all mail and directs it into different folders,...

Is there a way in TB to designate a common Inbox for all accounts ? I had not found that control.

What does not work in my situation is just having one account do the download for everyone (unless you can also tell me how to disable POP3 polling on an account-by-account basis).

Thanks for your advice.

Chris

Is there a way in TB to designate a common Inbox for all accounts ? I had not found that control.
You cannot designate one Inbox for multiple accounts, but that's not what I meant. You are basically checking one pop3 box with multiple accounts, as that is unnatural (one pop3 box should equal one account) I suggested that you simply used one account to do your mail collecting, for the multiple addresses you use you don't need to use different accounts, TB offers other solutions and I suggested the folder identity (Folder -> Properties -> Identity)

Ah. I had not discovered the folder-identity trick.

So I would have just on account for all the users in my domain, and use the Folder Identity to control any message created while that folder has the focus. Neat!

I have found two concerns with this (maybe I am missing something).

1) The folder identities appear to have to be set on every folder. There does not seem to be an 'inheritance' facility where sub-folders assume the identity of their parent folder, if not specifically given their own identity, or else some way of telling a super-folder to force all its sub-folders to assume the same identity. They only 'inherit' the identity of their account.  

2) If the identity is not already known to the system, through being defined in an account, it has to be typed in manually - EVERY TIME it is needed. i.e. the drop-down menus do not seem 'remember' new identities declared elsewhere. (Or is there an 'identity register' somewhere?)

If I adopt your recommendation I will have only one account in the system, so no options in the drop-down menus.

The reason for my concerns: We have about 300 folders and I don't want (unless essential):

(a) to have to visit them all individually and manually set the identity of every one,

(b) to have to remember to set the identities on any new folders that my users create for themselves.

Maybe there is some other TB 'trick' I have not yet discovered which helps with this.
Pages: 1