Pages: 1
RSS
Filter, subfilters and Memo

I am trying to set up a common filter that will toggle the memo of a selected message between blank, * and ! in rotation every time I press F10. I think I tried everything and ended up with a parent filter and two subfilters in Common filters | Read messages. The problem is that only the parent filter seems to work. The subfilters are ignored. Here is the logic:

* "Set Memo from * to blank": if Memo IS * then set Memo to %BLANK
** "Set Memo from ! to *": if Memo IS ! then set Memo to *
*** "Set Memo from blank to !": if Memo IS NOT ! AND Memo IS NOT * then set Memo to !

In the 3rd statement I would rather say "if Memo IS NOT "" " but the rule doesn't seem to pick up a blank Memo. Also, setting the Memo to blank seems to produce a Memo with a return, not a really blank memo.

All of these are set to Share with all folders/accounts. My assumption here is that if I press F10 to trigger the parent filter and the condition is False then the 1st subfilter is tested and then the 2nd. I tried them as all parent filters with the first one being triggered by F10 and 'continue processing' set to on, but this didn't work either. Any ideas? A more elegant solution (or at least one that works) would be appreciated.

Many thanks,
Michael

Subfilters are running only if main filter is executed. Your first filter must catch 'any message' and in the options tab You must to mark 'This filter is active', 'Execute actions of this filter by pressing this Hot Key' [F10] and 'Check the messages against this rule'.

Then three subfilters (all on one level)
- Memo is *  (Set memo %BLANK%-)
- Memo is !
- Memo match ^$
in 'options' only 'This filter is active'.

Thanks a lot! It works almost great. I must press the hotkey twice every time to get it to toggle. Any idea why this might be happening? I can't see where the second key press goes.  

OK, I found out what's wrong with it but I don't know how to fix it. When I press F10 the memo is changed correctly but the focus moves to the Message menu (although the message remains selected and highlighted in blue, as if it is in focus). If I press it again, the focus goes back to the selected message but nothing happens. If I press it again, the memo is changed correctly, and so on. Somehow I doubt it, but is there a way to tell TB to apply the change but keep the focus on the message, where it was?

Regular expressions are not my strength but I suspect this can be done easily. Those characters (!, * and blank) are used as flags as the first character of memos. However, there may be a real memo text after that flag. Is there a way to use F10 as above to toggle that flag and keep the rest of the memo text, if present, as it is?

Thanks

When I press F10 the memo is changed correctly but the focus moves to the Message menu (although the message remains selected and highlighted in blue, as if it is in focus). If I press it again, the focus goes back to the selected message but nothing happens. If I press it again, the memo is changed correctly, and so on. Somehow I doubt it, but is there a way to tell TB to apply the change but keep the focus on the message, where it was?

I've tested with hot key 'Ctrl+Shift+8' and then message will not lose a focus. So, change Your hotkey. Or try to find a F10 in Customize/Shortcuts.

Regular expressions are not my strength but I suspect this can be done easily. Those characters (!, * and blank) are used as flags as the first character of memos. However, there may be a real memo text after that flag. Is there a way to use F10 as above to toggle that flag and keep the rest of the memo text, if present, as it is?

No, because we need macro with a present content of memo.

This actually worked. I can't find what F10 actually does, other than shift focus to the menu, but I released F8 and used that instead. Only problem is occasionally TB seems to forget to display the content of the memo, but it acts correctly (i.e. it may be set to '!', it will appear blank, but if I press F8 it will change to '*'). Anyway, this is probably a bug. Many thanks.  
Pages: 1