Pages: 1
RSS
v.1.61 Filter

Does the filtering system of The Bat v.1.61 work properly?

I have numerous accounts and the filtering system isn't working for me.
Is it because it is faulty, or I haven't set it up properly?

TIA

I've never had any problems with the v1 filtering system. You should be a little bit more specific about what isn't functioning properly.
Basically the filtering system follows these rules:
- Filters are account based can only be triggered by messages downloaded by their own account.
- Filters are triggered top down, as soon as a message triggers a filter, it won't be checked against other filters (unless the triggered filter has the option 'continue processing with other filters' enabled)
- The source folder has to match, for incoming filters that source folder should be the Inbox

BTW The final v1 relase would be 1.62 and that's still available for download on this site, so you could upgrade to that version.

Thanks Roelof for your info.
I'll tell you my situation and maybe you can see if I'm doing something wrong or not.

Sometimes my filters work, sometimes they don't.
That's the frustrating part.

I have 6 e-mail accounts that login with the same name and password. Rogers-Yahoo allows this. A user can set up various accounts under their main one, and use them
as disposable accounts, in the event that they are attacked by spam.

So I have:
MainAccount@rogers.com
Guard1@yahoo.ca
Guard2@yahoo.ca
etc.

In The Bat, if I didn't set up accounts for Guard1, Guard2 etc. any e-mail sent to those accounts would land in MainAccount@rogers.com.

That would be fine except for when I need to reply to the e-mails. By creating separate accounts for each of these additional e-mail addresses, The Bat allows me to
reply and have the appropriate name (Guard1 etc.) attached to the outgoing messages.

Currently I have all of my filters applied through my main account (MainAccount) incoming mail.

Filters are set up to send mail to the appropriate account (Guard1, Guard2 etc.) if the recipient string matches the account name.

As I mentioned above, sometimes it works, often it doesn't.

Do you see anything that I should change in my setup?

TIA

Sometimes your filters work, sometimes they don't. That looks like your conditions are a bit off. Or your messages trigger another filter before they reach the filter that moves them to the next account.

You don't need separate accounts though. You can also delete every address to its own folder and you can set the folder identity (in the folder properties) to the matching address, that's what I'm doing for a number of addresses.

Hi Roelof.

It's funny because as I was writing my message above and checking how I set up my accounts it occurred to me what I might be doing wrong.

I went back to each account and removed the Receive Mail: Mail Server setting. This now prevented each account from logging into the server to retrieve mail.
It seems to have done the trick (at least for today, the filters are behaving properly so far).

What was happening was when I hit Alt-F2, each account was checking for e-mail, but apparently not in the sequential order that I have them set up in.

MainAccount is at the top of the accounts list, but some of the other accounts must have been logging in ahead of MainAccount. Once they logged in, they took all the e-mails from the server and didn't filter them (because the filters were set up in MainAccount).

You don't need separate accounts though. You can also delete every address to its own folder and you can set the folder identity (in the folder properties) to the matching address, that's what I'm doing for a number of addresses.

I'm not quite following what you have said above.
How do I "delete every address to its own folder"?

"set the folder identity (in the folder properties) to the matching address".  Do I do this in the filter settings or somewhere else?

So you are saying I don't need separate accounts for each of the additional five e-mail addresses?
How would I send e-mail from these addresses then, if they don't have their own accounts?

TIA

Pages: 1