Pages: 1
RSS
Filter when sender includes additional names besides me, Filtering help needed

I want a filter that accepts messages from a particular sender when my name is the only name in the recipients' list. But when he sends out blanket mass emails to a list of 15 or 20, I want to send those into Trash.

I've tried various things, and the filter does not work.

Any tips?

you probably thought of something like this, but does the sender send his mass mails you don't want to see to mostly the same persons?
If so you could add those persons in the filter rules as AND rules.
So the filter could look like

if
recipient yourname/email address
AND recipient other typical person email address
AND recipient another typical person email address
AND ....

Action
move to folder Trash

Thanks for the response.

I've tried including one of the email addreses of the other people. Do I have to include *all* of the addresses to make the filter work?

I suppose I could do that; it would  be more work, and if one of the addresses was missing for a given email, the filter would no longer work.  

I've tried including one of the email addreses of the other people. Do I have to include *all* of the addresses to make the filter work?
As you wrote yourself, including all would probably not be the best solution since if only one were missing the whole filter would be void.
If one or two other persons receive the same bulk mails all the time, these two would be sufficient.
Of course the rule should also have AND clause that the sender should be the one always sending this stuff, too :)
This filter should work, if it doesn't check if it is active, that the filter before that filter has the option set to continue with other filters, that the filter is active on the correct account...

Ah, thanks!

I think the problem may have been that the preceding filter was not set to continue on to other filters.

Orson  

I think the problem may have been that the preceding filter was not set to continue on to other filters.
An annoying shortcoming of the excellent filter manager. In, I take a guess here, 99% of all cases, when a new filter is made this should be set automatically for the preceding filter... :(

Don't start checking 'continue processing with other filters' when you don't really have to. Generally you only want a message triggered by one specific filter.
I've got about 200 filters and none of them has the 'continue processing....' option enabled. You really don't need it, never.
As soon as you start using that option, the order in which the filters are being processed doesn't mean anything anymore.
My filtering conditions are as unique as possible, but sometimes that just can't be done. In then it's good to know that the filter that's encountered first (the filters are processed top down) will get the message. As soon as you enable 'continue processing...' you only know that your mesaage might get caught by another filter but it also might not.

My suggestion would be to create either two specific filters, one matching his messages to only you and one matching his messages to multiple recipients or to create a filter that triggers on all of his messages (like you've got now if I understood everything correctly) with a subfilter that checks whether there are multiple recipients.

The easiest way to check whether you are the only recipient is to create an address book group, call it something like 'only me' that contains all of your addresses. And create a filter that checks whether that AB group contains all recipients.
This way you don't have to check on certain other addresses, you simply check whether you're the only recipient and you can use this repeatedly. Being able to filter on AB groups is one of the most undervalued filtering options of TB.