Pages: 1
RSS
Filters, Remove attachements

Is it possible to remove an attachment from an email and leave a link to where the attachment has been extracted ?

Peter

That's basically what you do when you configure your account to store the attachments outside the message base. However, it can't be done as a filter action.

Thanks for the reply. I tried that method but it doesn't work. Is that because I am using an evaluation copy ? Assuming we can get it to work would it be possible to detach only certain files types ?

I tried using a filter to remove the attachments. Its not very consistent. Sometimes it works and sometimes not.

Re: evaluation copy, what are the limitations because a few things are not working such as mozilla email import.
Edited: peter sauven - 25 August 2008 01:15:33

Forgot to mention that I am using an IMAP account. Could that be the reason why it doesn't work ?

IMAP would be a reason why storing attachments outside the message base wouldn't work. Let's say it's a bit contraproductive to configure things like that.
The whole idea about IMAP is to have your message base available wherever you are and then you go restricting access to some stuff...

Configuring your account to store attachments in a dedicated attachments directory only works for new messages, not for messages that you've received before changing the setup.

Yes, the messages but not necessarily the attachments. Are you confirming that the attachment feature will not work with IMAP ?. You are not clear because you then say it will only work with new mail. Please clarify. Can you also clarify as to what is disabled with the evaluation copy.

Thank you for coming back with prompt replies

Just tried the attachment feature on a POP3 account and it doesn't work on that type of account either. Any clues ???

Nothing is disabled in the evaluation version.

I meant to say that the receiving ccount has to be pop3 when you want to store attachments outside of the message base. The splicing has to be done when the message gets imported into the message base and with IMAP the messages get important in a server side message base without TB's interference.

You say it doesn't work with a pop3 account? How did you configure it and what kind of attachments won't be stored separately?
Is your attachments folder still empty?
Unfortunately I can't test it myself as I'm currently running an encrypted message base and that disables the external storage of messages.

Re: Evaluation. All message import options are greyed out on my installation. I have also read somewhere that the password feature is disabled as well and that buying the product will unleash many more feratures.

Re: Attachments; I have setup a seperate folder on the C drive. Have not touched the split settings at all. Should I ? Attachments folder is still empty. No ATTACH folder was created either in the programme's folder which is referred to in the Help files.

On the matter of IMAP, cannot see why removeing attachments might be a problem. The attachments could be removed and the server folder would be updated anyway. One could do it manually so why could it not have been incorporated into your attachments routine ?

In order to import messages, you've got to have a folder selected where you want to import those messages, maybe you can't import to IMAP, but I don't know.

Did you select that attachments folder in:
Account -> Properties -> Files & directories /Attachments

Removing attachments is no problem, it's merely adding a link to the message that's a problem as TB doesn't alter received messages. That's a deliberate restriction.
And I don't understand why you're blaming me for any routine in TB, I don't blame you either as we're both users of the program.

Roelof

Not blaming you at all, just questioning the intricacies of IMAP in general. It should not be that much different from POP3 once a message is downloaded.
I am after all just asking questions and putting forward some technical matters the answers to which I cannot find in the Help file.

you're saying 'after the message is downloaded', but that's the difference between IMAP and POP3.
With POP3 you download a message and then everything you're doing with that message is happening local.
With IMAP you download an image of the message and everything you're doing with the message has to be done serverside. Furthermore IMAP is a complicated protocol, there are no two clients that handle every aspect the same way, nor are two servers that handle everything the same.
The fact that IMAP is rather different from POP3 makes it difficult or even impossible to use the same features on both message bases.

Just a final point and I won't bother you anymore.

Attachhment removal. Is the prog meant to remove the attachment from the email and leave only a link to the folder where the attachment has been saved or does it still leave the attachment in the email ?
On my tests the attachments are still in the email as well as in the attachments folder. Is there no way detachment can be masked ie: only *.jpg's or is it all or nothing ?.

Thank you

When you configure an attachments folder, the attachments are only to be found in the attachments folder, but the linking to that attachment is such that TB shows the attachment in the headers. It isn't so that it inserts a link in the message body.

When using an attachments folder you can't set a filter for the attachments you want to be extracted and those you don't want to be.