Login:
Password:
Forgot your password?
Register
Login

Pages: 1
RSS
Have problems with mass email

Can somebody give me an easy step by step guide how to send mass emails. I could not get the instruction from the help within the programm. My English might not be good enough. I want to send newsletter for my clients. And I have a text file with email adresses.

You don't need a text file with e-mail addresses.
Import those addresses in your address book and place them in one group.

Now you create a message you'd like to send, but you don't do that as a normal message, but as a quick template:
Options -> Quick Templates -> New
give the quick template a decent name (so you'll recognize it) and select 'Use for new Messages/Mass mailing'
You can use all macros in this template, just as in any other template, so personalize it with
Hi %ToFName,
or
Dear Mr/Ms %ToLName,
that's just an example of course.

In order to send the message, open the address book, select the group you want to use for your mailing and from the menu you pick:
File -> Mass mailing using template -> and pick the right template.
Now you can choose whether the new messages have to be placed in the outbox or whether you'd like to have each of them in a separate edit screen.
I suggest that you try this first with a very small address book group and all messages in separate edit screens. When you think you've got it under control end your mass mailing.

Thank you very much. It is very kind of you to give me this tutorial. I have one last thing. I have 5000 people in my newsgroup and I do not want them to see in the "To" field to whome else I wrote the message. I followed your instructions and all email adresses where put in the "To" field. How can I change this. I want them in the "bcc" field.

Thanks for the answer!

I have 5000 people in my newsgroup and I do not want them to see in the "To" field to whome else I wrote the message.
That's the idea of the procedure I gave you.
In TB a mass mailing (via the address book) sends every recipient a message that's only addressed to him/her, hence the options to personalize them.

When you don't care for the personalizing, you simply write an e-mail to yourself and place all intended recipients in the BCC header. This lacks elegance. Another disadvantage for this kind of mail (especially with the numbers you mention) is that lots of ISPs refuse messages with so many recipients.

The disadvantage of TB's mass mailing, a separate message for each recipient, is also its strength in this case.

However, note the user license for TB states that that you're not supposed to send unsolicited commercial email (aka spam).

I do not want to send spam. I just want to inform my users of important changes in their accounts.

As far as I understood is that they will not see to whom else I wrote the message when I do it with the address book. Is is correct?

Another problem that I have is that I just have a list of email adresses.
How can this work than: "Dear Mr/Ms %ToLName"

Can I leave the template blank?

Thanks for helping me!

I do not want to send spam. I just want to inform my users of important changes in their accounts.
That's fine with me, just felt the need to mention it, as I thought that 5000 was a tad big. ;-)

As far as I understood is that they will not see to whom else I wrote the message when I do it with the address book. Is is correct?

Yep, that's right.

Can I leave the template blank?

No, you can't leave the template blank, it has to contain your message, however when you don't want to personalize the message, you simply don't use any macros. (no recipient related macros anyway)

Thank you for your quick and professional respond.
I followed the exact steps but somehow he is just including only the first email adress and thats it. He is not including all the others and I dobble checked it. He was just sending the email to one person.

I made the template "Options -> Quick Templates -> New"

and then I tried to send it:

File -> Mass mailing using template -> and pick the right template

He moved it to the outbox and from there I send it.

Are you sure that the above tutorial is correct.

Thanks

Yes, that's the way I've used it in the past. (Though not with as many recipients as you propose.)

What I maybe didn't state clear enough, was that you need to select the address book group not a single address.
You can do that by keeping the focus opn the lefdt side of the address book window.