Pages: 1
RSS
Thousands of duplicate emails, how can I remove them?

Hello guys.

My The Bat! client have today 225.000 emails with hundreds of folders and subfolders.

I found some thousands of duplicate emails in this folders/subs. I can't use the procedure "remove duplicates" because this emails have a 2 hour difference in the date of creation.

ex.
email 1
TO: Massimo
SUBJ: Hello!
Text: Hello my friend
Created: 01 nov 2011, 18.04
size: 1.098 bytes

email2  
TO: Massimo
SUBJ: Hello!
Text: Hello my friend
Created: 01 nov 2011, 20.04  <------- here the only one difference (two hours in all duplicate emails)

size: 1.098 bytes

I think the problem is born a few months ago when I used the procedure of synchronization between notebooks <--> netbooks, although I'm not 100% sure

I have some chance to automatically remove these emails?

Thanks  :D
Edited: Massimo Z - 29 July 2012 15:37:42

Anyone can help me?  :oops:

I don't think it's possible to delete those duplicates automatically.

ritlabs cant do this ie allow you to choose what paramenters you use to compare
this is not an industrial email  client

Well, if these are really thousands of copies of (nearly) the same e-mail, just search for something that's in these e-mails (but not in others). Then, in the list of found messages, select all-but-one of them and delete them.

edit:
Oh wait - never mind. You have thousands of e-mails that each have one duplicate. Yes, that complicates things :-)
Edited: Daniel van Rooijen - 30 December 2016 19:03:48
I volunteer as a moderator to help keep the forum tidy. I do not work for Ritlabs SRL.

The "Delete Duplicates" item of the "Folder" menu compares messages  within a folder and delete duplicates. Messages are considered  duplicates if their "From", "To", "Message-ID" and "Date" attributes are  equal, even if other parts are different. Sometimes it happens that messages have differences in one or two of the  above attributes, but are otherwise identical, so it is worth excluding  some of the attributes from comparison.This happened in your case while time is different by a few hours, most probably because of invalid time zone configuration on one or more computers with which you synchronize messages.

The Bat! version 7.4.4 offers more options for deleting duplicate emails.   This version introduces new command line parameters to exclude certain  attributes from comparison when deleting duplicates. So, you can exclude message creation date/time. For more information on command line  parameters supported by The Bat!, their usage and samples please refer  to https://www.ritlabs.com/en/support/help/77/#6680

Since you wrote that during backup/restore a time shift in a few hours appear in message, one possibility of this problem is that one of the computers that take part in synchronization (or backup/restore) don't have time zone information set correctly while The Bat! keeps message dates in UTC (Universal Time Coordinated). If the time zone is not set correctly, then The Bat! is unable to calculate UTC message date/time correctly. To make sure that your computer have correct time configuration: (1) make sure that time zone is correctly set in Windows "date and time settings"; (2) synchronize time over internet, never update time manually, and after you have synchronized time over internet - please check whether time in Windows shows correct time after synchronization - and if it shows correct time, then The Bat! will calculate UTC properly.

Not sure why the quote function did not work.

> George
> ritlabs cant do this ie allow you to choose what paramenters you use to compare  
this is not an industrial email  client

George, is there such a thing as an "industrial email client"?  

Was this a bit tongue-in-cheek?

(I could see more sophistication about duplicates in mail archive programs, but I never heard of it in clients like Eudora, Outlook, Pegasus, Becky, etc.)

Steven
Pages: 1