Pages: 1
RSS
The Bat! doesn't start after error message

Hello there.

Yesterday, I was cleaning up my folders after being told by the Bat! that I exceeded a 2GB-limit of mails. I erased about 2000 mails, but was still getting this message. In the end, I even got it when I wanted to delete a mail, so I shut the programme down. Since then, I'm unable to even open the client. Can anybody help me out?

Best
nortels

First, try starting as an administrator. You may even have to go to the program folder and try it a few times - ALSO, make sure there are no other instances still running in task manager as it will not start a new one
If you get it running, then run the maintenance center and compress all the delete messages out of the database - that is why you are still getting the message

In the future you can set it up to archive old messages by any criteria that makes sense to the way you work such as by year for instance

But run Folder/Maintenence Center often - I do it every night

Dear Rick,

Thank you very much for your answer. I tried your suggestions, but unfortunately I wasn't able to open the programme.

Also, when I was deleting the 2000 messages, I also emptied the trash folder - I think that has the same effect as compressing, probably.

I hope there will be a way around this problem. Installing The Bat! again and importing the messages should work, if nothing else, right?

Best
nortels

Cleaning the trash is not the same. When a message goes to trash it is still in the original folder, but marked as deleted. You must run the maintenance center to compress the folders
Before reinstalling, have you done a system cleanup? Got rid of all the temporary files that the bat and other programs leave behind?
If you are not sure how to do that, I suggest Ccleaner
http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner
Hit the download option and then choose the FREE (no support) choice
THEN try running The Bat as administrator - several times if need be and checking task manager each time to make sure it is not running (Kill the process if it is and try again) A running process may be further down the list
If the bat runs and opens, run the maintenance center then go have coffee or lunch as it will take a while on a big database

Thank you again. I did run the CCleaner. My computer runs faster now and I have to thank you for that! Unfortunately, nothing changed with The Bat.

I think I'm installing it again and try out a new version. I don't have a recent backup, but I think I should be able to import the older messages by importing the single folders.

If you are prepared to make a mess and have to start all over again ...
Go to your mail folder and drag the biggest folders out of the data folder, just leave at least one account
Start the bat and if it starts run the maintenance center then close it.
Add some more folders back into the mail directory and start the bat again. If it doesn't see the latest folder then press CONTROL ALT SHIFT DELETE at the same time and they should restore
Run maintenance center and repeat until all folders are back into the bat and it starts correctly

DISCLAIMER: I have never had to do this myself. If it makes a total mess, just put everything the way it was and go for the reinstall  
Pages: 1