Pages: 1
RSS
Licensing?, Upgrade policy question

Is it true that a newer purchase of v6 is not upgradable to 7, but an older purchase of v6 IS upgradable?

[*]The Bat! v5 license purchased December 23, 2010 - September 25, 2013 will be valid for a The Bat! v6.0 upgrade only.
[*]The Bat! v6 license purchased September 26, 2013 - November 25, 2013 will be valid for a The Bat! v7.0 upgrade only.
[*]The Bat! v6 license purchased after November 25, 2013 is valid for all sub-versions of The Bat! v6. For The Bat! v7.0 and higher these licenses will no longer be valid.
It looks like the second option was purchased prior to the third option, yet has more upgrade rights?????

When will v7 be released?  I cannot justify a paid upgrade for such a short time.

I've been using the bat for 17 years. (December, 1998)

Thanks.

I asked something similar further down the topic list. The upgrade policy is truly bizarre as it stands. I bought a pro licence well into the v5 cycle because it promised v6 eligibility but that turned out to be valid for only very early v6 releases that have long been left in the dirt.

If Ritlabs were to offer full v7 eligibility for v6 licences purchased from now onwards, I'd buy a new licence immediately. As it is, there's just too much of a risk of paying for a product that might be rapidly superceded.

Maybe the Bat! v7  will be free???? :D

Indeed :)

BdSW2vwHBgcICwsF2+jk7/v5/zPW/fzl9ukZGi8fHSkOGN0T5B3EB4DD
aCcCJBvwU01A6QN6cngqW+3oQjkut5vXvsOPL/PnlhkMYbCr82DBD6BD
Y4jYSWhN61u7hEOhC9wN4w7fRylsPza9aSeyeGDQpD/Un+lo18872951
kxcMEt0yogCCCE4F1F

The upgrade policy has changed but it is still confusing:

"The Bat! v7 license purchased from May 9, 2015 will be valid for versions 6.8, 6.8.x and all sub-versions of The Bat! v7. For The Bat! v8.0 and higher these licenses will no longer be valid".

There's no version 7 to buy a v7 licence for at the moment. I assume it means that if I buy a 6.8.8 licence after May 9th, it will be valid for v7 but that is not how it reads. I've emailed Ritlabs to find out

Reply from Ritlabs:

"We sell licenses for The Bat! v7 since May 9, 2015, so it means if
you purchase the upgrade now, you will get a registration key valid
for versions 6.8, 6.8.x and all sub-versions of The Bat! v7".

[edit] I've bought a new licence and am using the 64 bit pro version. It's a lot snappier to navigate from folder to folder than the old v6 32 bit pro version I was using.
Edited: Rezillo - 28 July 2015 19:22:17

This is very annoying especially as I purchased The Bat 6.? on 9 April 2015, just one month before the cut off date.  If I'd known it would run out on 9 May I'd have stayed with The Bat 4.1?.

So folks, is it worth paying for an upgrade?

If I were to pay for The Bat 7 upgrade how would be the best way to install it?  

Do a backup.  Download The Bat 7, install over existing The Bat 6, enter the licence key, then restore from backup?

or

Do a backup, remove The Bat 6, install The Bat 7, enter licence key, then restore from backup?

Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Usually you can just install over the previous version. However, since they just came out with v7 you may want to wait to see how others actually do it.

In my case I'm down-grading from Pro to Home as I no longer need encryption. I was told all I need to do is install v7 home over existing an input new registration code.  I'll let you know how it works when I get around to upgrading to v7.

It doesn't look like a lot of changes from v6.8.8 to v7 though.

The upgrade policy now is bizarre.  A licence for one version always used to be valid for the ?.0 version of the next release.

That has now changed.
  • The Bat! v6 license purchased September 26, 2013 - November 25, 2013 will be valid for a The Bat! v7.0 upgrade only. For The Bat! v7.1 and higher these licenses will not be valid.
  • The Bat! v6 license purchased November 26, 2013 - May 8, 2015 is valid for all sub-versions of The Bat! v6. For The Bat! v7.0 and higher these licenses will no longer be valid.
So a newer version of v6 doesn't get v7.0 but an older one does.  Can't see the sense.

I have successfully (I think) installed v7 Home over v6.6.8 Pro. I entered my new Home license and it seems to be working fine.

A couple things though.

1. When installing the v7 I get a warning that my current license does not cover v7 and it will be run in trial mode (no surprise).  But it also says that if I run in trial then I will not be able to revert back without data lose. I wonder if there's been some change in data structure. Which makes me wonder too what will happen if I had to restore a v6.8.8 backup.

2. Home license in About says it's for one computer but I know my old Pro version was a per user license. I checked the differences on the web site and Home makes no reference to any limits but Pro version does make some statements on device use. I've asked for clarification from Ritlabs. While I use on only one computer for POP mail I can see that at some time in the future I may want to install on another for IMAP if I'm traveling.

Larry

I am thinking of moving from Pro to Home - I don't really need all the bells and whistles.

Did you buy the Home upgrade or a completely new Home licence?

Thanks

I had to buy a new Home license.

I haven't heard back yet on whether I can use on a second computer, if that matters to you.

Thanks Larry. I suspected that might be the case.

Looking at the licence conditions on this site I believe the Pro licence is now for a single computer - that is probably another change Ritlabs have made.

I agree, the licensing info is irritating.
I also recognised yesterday that some very old purchases will get Versin 7 and and newer ones has to pay for it.

Wondering nobody from Ritlabs will gave a comment about this.

G.Schellenberg
Edited: Gottlieb Schellenberg - 09 August 2015 05:16:18

Just wanted to chime in and say that upgrading from 6.8.8 to 7.0 worked flawless on my 3 computers. I simply installed the new version over the old one, all data was still there and everything worked as before. So no need to uninstall first (though a backup probably wouldn't harm - I didn't do one because all of my mail is on the servers).

That said, I am also confused by the licensing. Not sure if it ever was permitted to install one license on multiple computers used by the same user at different times, but it worked for me with 6.8.8 and before. Now, I can't say because I did not yet decide to upgrade, and what I have seen so far from 7.0 makes me want to go back to 6.8.8 instead of paying $29.95 (or maybe eben $29.95 to upgrade one computer and 2 x $39.95 to license the two others).

The current licensing policy, as I read it, contradicts itself. On one hand, it states that the software is licensed for one user on one device. Maybe not the most common practice nowadays, but understandable. Then in the next sentence however it looks like it is "tolerated though not permitted" to use the same license on multiple computers, provided all computers installations are used by the same person and only at different times. Which is more like how many other companies I purchase software from (Adobe, Microsoft, 2BrightSparks, Jetbrains, to name a few) license their software. Hoping Ritlabs will clarify which of the two licensing models applies to The Bat.

After sticking with The Bat for several years now, the latest Upgrade costs I consider too prohibitive.  I last paid for the 6.0 to 6.9 upgrade back in 15th April 2014, and I'm now not even getting 12 months out of the product when I'm expected to fork out nearly 30 Euros !   No cheap deals for long term registered users either !
See you later; I've changed to another email client, and successfully imported all my emails, so you've lost me.

Bye
Dave
Pages: 1