Pages: 1
RSS
Small issues with v7: Snappiness overall, Editor quirks, line height, slow usage

Hey guys,

I use TB for almost 15 years now, recently v3 for years, before I used v1.62.
Due to signature issues with Google and an smtp error with another provider, I had to change. I bought v7 pro and - well, I would like to switch back to v3 if it would work, but it doesn't.

Granted, I have only 2 minor issues with v7, but they are subjective essential for me in my daily work.

1. My system is Win7 64bit, SSDs only. If I'm in my message list and hit CTRL-Enter to reply to a message, it lasts ~500ms for the reply window to appear and the mouse pointer changes to the clock (full load) and back.
Really, this does not happen with v3 - when I reply, the message window appears instantly without any waiting time and mouse pointer change.
Why? I have an Intel i7, the fastest SSDs and get a full load by replying to a message? :D

I checked v6 and v5 also, the same slow behaviour. v4 is a bit faster, almost instant as v3.

2. I use MicroEd with Courier New at 10pt. Why is the line height changed from 17px in v3 to 16px in v7?
Every larger font has a smaller line height now, this is uncomfortable for reading and strains my eyes, especially when 17px is standard in all other applications, i.e. Notepad++ and such.
Is there any possibility to get my standard line height back?
BTW, it doesn't depend on MicroEd itself. The RTF viewer has also a line height of only 16px in Courier in v7.

Hope you don't mind the "small" problems, but I work with TB for several hours and it's a drawback for me.
Edited: Marco Rassau - 02 June 2016 04:35:00

I get a small delay when replying using CONTROL - ENTER too. I don't know of any way to fix it other then to reply in plain text and I am not sure that would be a good fix (It would NOT be good for me)

As for the line height, I am aware of no control to change that other than raising the font size.You can do that on the fly by holding the control key and moving your mouse wheel

Sirry I could not be more helpful

Hi Rick,

thanks for your answer, but :D

1. I reply in plain text already. The delay went into the bat somewhere in v5.

2. I'm aware of the font size change, but this doesn't raise the usual line-height for that font either. If I choose Courier 12pt, I have smaller line height too than the 12pt normally has. This was seemingly introduced in <= v5.

As for the delay, I can live with it although I don't understand this what happens in background. The line height could be an option for Maxim to implement very easy.

I'm back to v3.99...

I suffered from the mail problems with United Internet (1&1), wh ere many mail clients could not send mail through SMTP, so I upgraded to v7.
As 1&1 changed her mail servers again, I changed back because the 2 annoyances stated above are really distracting.

I can't believe that in all these years I should be the only one who noticed that? Do you all take bad changes for good?
Maybe it is weird to think that an old client is better, but 3.99 is far better regarding speed and - sigh - font size and line height. If anyone has spare time, test this out. Install a v3 and compare... Would like to read some comments in this direction.

A little bit sad though that no one of the dev team seems to be interested.
Thanks anyway for reading and trying to help.
Edited: Marco Rassau - 13 June 2016 08:26:15

If your problem with Google was the Gmail certificate problem, the oldest version of The Bat that solves this is v4.0.38, which you can download from https://www.ritlabs.com/en/products/thebat/archive_version.php

To help find the cause of the delay in the message editor, have you tried SysInternals' "Process Monitor" utility? It shows all filesystem and registry activity that goes on in the background. Just turn on its monitoring, open the editor in The Bat, and close the monitoring as soon as the editor appears. Then study the logfile to see if anyhting strange comes up (e.g. a virus scanner that kicks in or a font that can't be found). You'll find ProcMon at https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/processmonitor.aspx

As for the dev team, they don't seem to check this user forum. The way to contact them is through Support (see menu).
I volunteer as a moderator to help keep the forum tidy. I do not work for Ritlabs SRL.
Pages: 1