Pages: 1
RSS
Default mail client

Hello

This might be a rather simple question, but in Windows7 how/where can I set TheBat as the default mail client. It is the only mail client I have installed and running, but anytime I click on a "mailto" link in any web page (using FireFox), I get maybe a couple dozen or more IE browser windows opening???. I have tried clicking a mailto link using IE also but same results and no bat opening in response to the mailto link.

I have looked high and low but can't see to locate where to fix this in Windows7

Thank you
nelson

OPTIONS / PREFERENCES / APPLICATIONS
You will find what you want there and can set it as you wish. I have them all checked and have them silently restore if something else changes them without bothering me with it

Thank you, but I do have these all checked. Mozilla Firefox is my default browser in which I have TheBat set to handle mailto links, but still, any time I click a mailto link on a web page for some reason IE throws an error message stating "Could not perform this operation because the default mail client is not properly installed". I am not even using IE nor is IE even my default browser. This if I his "OK" in this error dialog box, IE launches a countless number of "navigation canceled pages".

I realize this situation is most likely nothing to do directly with TheBat, I just don't where else to look in my Windows7 to fix it. Since it is mail realated I am hoping someone may have an idea of what is happening and where I can go to locate the problem.

See https://superuser.com/questions/590060/many-iexplorer-instances-open-when-clicking-on-a-mailto-link
I volunteer as a moderator to help keep the forum tidy. I do not work for Ritlabs SRL.

Perfect! Thank you

Daniel, YOU'RE A LIFE SAVER! Thank you!
I couldn't have imagined the solution was so simple.

The actual solution that worked for me: I've had to recreate the missing association for mailto: protocol.
From an elevated command prompt, run this command:
Code
reg ADD "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\mailto" /v "URL Protocol" /t REG_SZ /d "" /f

See if your mailto: links start working afterward. If not, then it is likely not an association's issue and you'll have to search further.

The command itself is safe. Even if a mentioned entry exists, it'll do nothing harmful to it.
Pages: 1